(Out of Date) Guide: How to Insert Uploaded Images in a Post

Robin2:
Should that be mentioned? :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

LarryD:
Microsoft is/has replaced I.E. with Edge (Windows 10)
Get to Know Microsoft Edge

I am convinced 'Edge' will be the answer to all the worlds woes.

NOT !

Yeah, its a bit incorrect. Religion and terrorism should be the same line...

Test

![](http://D:\ard pics\20160524_104840.jpg)

test

EDIT ... test FAIL and FAIL again... fruc it and post on google drive its easier to add a link than it is to add a picture...least size doesn't matter (well that's what she said)

Ballscrewbob:
![](http://D:\ard pics\20160524_104840.jpg)

test

EDIT ... test FAIL and FAIL again... fruc it and post on google drive its easier to add a link than it is to add a picture...least size doesn't matter (well that's what she said)

You seem to have posted the path to your local copy:

[img]http://D:\ard pics\20160524_104840.jpg[/img]

What you need is the link of the image you uploaded:

[img]http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=364156.0;attach=181327[/img]

Here it is:

Yup there it is in only half its glory (70% to be precise).

The only reason it shows quite well here is that it is a 24 Mp pseudo macro shot taken with a 300 mm lens then cropped quite extensively to fit the limits of the forum.

Most of the other sites I take part in have a simple file selection option even allowing multiple files to be selected not a danged URL !

The also tend not to have file size limits per pic (except large or high megapixel panoramic's )
They often do that by moving the pics offsite to such as Amazon for high speed storage and retrieval to keep forums etc at acceptable speeds.

Its no wonder so many people in these forums prefer to use Dropbox or cloud site links for thier pictures (myself included) despite some of the seniors in here refusing to even look at them on occasion or having to do the post themselves. (like you just did LOL)

Many sites also allow viewing of a full or original size image by simple clicking on it rather than it being constrained to WYSIWYG

I know some find this archaic Arduino method acceptable and know how to work it quite well through the multiple steps needed. Me ? nah !

I know this link is a photography site but I can throw up to 10 x 24 megapixel pics up in a couple of clicks.
Yes they are slightly constrained but that's to help prevent plagiarising and such and there are some world class pics up there. But regardless of that it maintains the quality quite well and I have swapped a few pics with others for the originals.

OK pet peeve / rant over as I know anything I said will fall on deaf ears.

Ballscrewbob:
The only reason it shows quite well here is that it is a 24 Mp pseudo macro shot taken with a 300 mm lens then cropped quite extensively to fit the limits of the forum.

The also tend not to have file size limits per pic (except large or high megapixel panoramic's )

Give some thought to those of us with low-speed broadband and reduce the pixel count to 640x480 or 1280x960 before uploading.

Most of the other sites I take part in have a simple file selection option even allowing multiple files to be selected not a danged URL !

I agree that the system on this Forum is a PITA. But please use it as it makes it easier for us to help you - I presume that is your principal objective.

...R

@ Robin2

I would like to see the system support both such as yourself and those who are capable of putting up clearer pictures with more detail as well.

Would you prefer to squint at a blurry constrained picture or a full screen with more detail ?

My eyes are not as they once were and maybe you have to also account for many of us who don't have 20/20, laser, x/ray vision.

There is no reason today that the forum should not have the ability.
Looked at some of the pictures posted and while even mine are certainly not pro in any way quite often trying to follow a picture of somebody's wiring in a highly constrained picture can and has led to few mistakes in answers.

I know that some pics are just poor lighting or just a simply poor picture but a user is also more often restricted by the method used here and seems like some don't or wont post pics simply because they cant or wont look this thread up and find the method "stone age" compared to what they are used to.

All I would like to see is a simple method to post an inline picture with larger size limits and with a simple double click to see the unconstrained version. Those items are not too much to ask for I don't think.

Adage " A picture is worth a thousand words" and even more so for electronics and fine detail.

Ballscrewbob:
Would you prefer to squint at a blurry constrained picture or a full screen with more detail ?

IMHO if it is a clear picture it will be perfectly clear at 640x480 - I doubt if you are trying to include fine detail for all the craters on the moon in a single image.

Also IMHO if the stuff you want to display cannot be easily seen in a 640x480 image then you need to present it as multiple images each focused on a specific item.

If you have an example of an image that is clear in higher resolution and not at 640x480 I would be interested to see it. And, of course, an image that is relevant to an Arduino question.

...R

Sorry Robin I know how pedantic you can be about energy and internet speeds etc and whilst I appreciate you don't have the best in terms of speed and such you cannot have my poor old eyeballs as I need them.

However if you want to do any sort of comparison just to get the idea (slightly exaggerated of course).

Then do a google search for "arduino 101" and take a note of the constrained view.
Now take a look at some of the larger format ones compared to a 640 x 480.

Here are two examples keeping it Arduino as requested Later on I will take a couple of shots and post them up elsewhere for you to see the difference in the ability to zoom in if you download them.

101 @ 680 x 478

101 @ 1200 x 900

If you click between two tabs showing the picture the blur on the lower res pic is glaringly clear

Here are two photos taken with my own camera. The first is the full image of my Uno reduced to 640x480. It seems perfectly readable to me.

The second image is a crop of a piece of the same original image to give about the same number of pixels. It is a little fuzzy probably due to camera shake.

I stand by my opinion that 640x480 is perfectly adequate to illustrate anything that is part of a question or explanation for an Arduino project.

...R
Uno640.jpg

OMG "EDIT Some problem uploading images - will try again"

EXACTLY MY POINT !

Thanks Robin you made my day

Ballscrewbob:
OMG "EDIT Some problem uploading images - will try again"

EXACTLY MY POINT !

Thanks Robin you made my day

I already said that the system is a PITA. See Reply #29.

My subsequent comments have been about the size of images.

...R

I think the example links I posted also make a perfectly valid point too.

Lets look at another fine example...remember the old 480 line TV pictures ?....See any difference in the newer formats ?
Even if you watch Netflix on a 10" tablet compared to an old 10" (or close) TV the differences are quite astounding.

Or early pictures from the earlier digital cameras of 640 x 480 compared to the the newer multi megapixels.

Not looking to win any sort of argument here at all but trying to get across the point that If the forum wants to get with the times and help people to help people they first have to move with the times.
Presently its a mid 90s early 2000's forum in some regards.

You seem to be promoting a time warp opinion and I fully agree with your way of thinking in some aspects as we have just spent a good chunk of cash on LED for lighting and are trying to be more energy conscious.

But this particular line of thought about pixel sizes is just plain wrong and outdated in so many ways.

Ballscrewbob:
Lets look at another fine example...remember the old 480 line TV pictures ?....See any difference in the newer formats ?
Even if you watch Netflix on a 10" tablet compared to an old 10" (or close) TV the differences are quite astounding.

IMHO that has nothing at all to do with the usefulness of a 640x480 picture for illustrating some issue connected with an Arduino project problem.

...R

Skating past the statement "Or early pictures from the earlier digital cameras of 640 x 480 compared to the the newer multi megapixels." nicely there Robin....and moving right along...LOL

Right back to the 480 line TV..It has everything to do with usefulness.

640x480...are we still playing wolfenstien or the original duke nukem over there ?

I honestly don't know anyone around me that still uses such a low res, not that there isn't anyone still out there using it as I have seen it on older terminals still in use and older industrial applications but even those are being phased out quite quickly.

Comparison of DETAIL in a picture between your resolution and almost anything greater is visible to me even including my wrecked eyesight.

OK I took a picture. In the interest of disclosure I did rotate and crop the original and as its a clone ardi its still 100% on topic.

here is the 640x480 (approx)

here is the other one un reduced in quality

Google drive will allow you to zoom in using double click BTW.

Now if you can tell me you cannot see the difference in clarity and quality for electronics use I am afraid I have no option but to ignore your arguments in future REGARDLESS of how good they may be.

First off I can pretty much read the resistor values quite clearly in one of them but not so easy at all in the other unless I " post process" it !!!

So if you are going to try continue this then please take your 640x480 and place it where the sun does not shine because as far as I am concerned I have made my case quite a few times in this thread using quite a few scenarios, but you are seemingly too stubborn to take them in and as they say "you can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink"

I can't see any obvious difference between those two images. And I have the trouble f going to another website to view them instead of being able to see them directly in your Forum Post.

I don't know what you mean by "read the resistor values" - what resistors?

But what I am trying to get across is that if you want an image that shows the value of a resistor make a suitable 640x480 image of the resistor. Don't make people look for tiny features in a huge picture. As well as the extra bandwith that is used to download it there is also time wasted trying to find it in the large picture.

Posting a huge image when all that is relevant is a small piece of it is the visual equivalent of Threads which post a complex program with "it doesn't work" as the only accompanying statement.

...R

I am out of here to be rid of you and your crass attitude and inability to move with the times.
I guess the world is still flat to you also.

Ignorance is bliss and my bliss will be ignoring your responses from here on in.

Ballscrewbob:
First off I can pretty much read the resistor values quite clearly in one of them but not so easy at all in the other unless I " post process" it !!!

A schematic is significantly more useful for such things.

Hi CB.

Point was to do with resolution of pictures in the convo with R2 and I do agree 100% with your take on a schem.

That said and agreed upon however there are a lot of Arduino users that don't really know what a schematic is so as you know we often ask for pictures.
More so of the board or thier current wiring arrangement in the troubleshooting section.
Then it comes down to resolution, clarity, focus, lighting and even picture size itself and more importantly the ease to which a user can post a picture (or schematic)

If its easier to post a picture then a user is more likely to respond to a request for one and if that picture/schem isn't quite what you wanted its easier for the user to take one based on an answer for a specific section of a board or schematic.

( OBSERVATION EDIT )

On occasion when a user is asked to provide a schematic or picture I have noted that there are a reasonable amount of "I checked my wiring and its all fantastic now" type posts. A few openly admit a mistake. Some are never heard from again unless there is another issue. The former are my personal faves and the sort of people I would gladly help if my knowledge was up to it.