Go Down

Topic: Clients and servers and stations and Softe Access Points. (Read 121 times) previous topic - next topic

jd2117

Hi, I hope on the correct board. I have been struggling to find the relationship between clients, stations, servers and access points. I have been reading loads of material on each one individually, but   I can't find a definitive tutorial that explains what the relationships are. For instance SSID. Is this same as your router or an access point or server? Does the station have the same SSID as the access point and is an access point a server?

If any one can point me to some meaningful documentation I really would be obliged.

pylon

These are quite general terms that may be used in several contexts and may have slightly different meanings depending on that context.

Client and server is a pair that usually only exists in combination. A client requests some information from the server and the server delivers that information. Although the opposite direction (client provides information to the server) is also possible the roles are fixed by the used protocol. To be reachable by the clients the server must have a well-known IP-address (given that we talk about IP-network client/server pairs), in most cases this address must be fixed.

A station is not a generally defined term. Every context that use that term should define it's meaning first. Usually it's a participant in some kind of network, other terms for the same often used are "node" and "host".

An access point usually describes a network device that provides WiFi service for some area in Managed mode. In most home setups it's part of the functionalities the internet router offers.

The SSID identifies a single WiFi network. It's simply a name and may be shared by several access points or routers if you have a bigger network.

An access point is by definition not coercively a server but as in the home situation the router (which is the access point) in most cases contains a web server it is also a server but it doesn't have to for it's functionality as an access point, it just makes the configuration convenient.

jd2117

Thank you for that. The first thing I did was to cut and paste it to word so I can keep it.

So what your saying is that all devices must have the same SSID and Password? And if that's the case all devices are talking to my router any way so I why do I need more access points?

Regards John

pylon

So what your saying is that all devices must have the same SSID and Password? And if that's the case all devices are talking to my router any way so I why do I need more access points?
To cover a larger area. Depending on the physics of your house and other WiFi networks of your neighbors you may be limited to a range of about 3-20m around your router to get sufficient WiFi connectivity. To extend that range you might use WiFi Range Extenders (which are more or less access points that itself acts as WiFi clients to the router) or install additional access points (which usually need an Ethernet connection to the router).

jd2117

What have in mind is a series of stations/clients that have sensors- for sending data, and relays- for receiving data talking to access point, which are then talking to a WAMP/MySQL server in he house. Hence the need to understand the relationships between these devices.

It has to be a star/mesh system with it's own IP addressing with the final AP/Server able to connect to my internal router.

Go Up