New!! Arduino XBee Shield

Hej,

M. Yarza has created a new shield that will allow you to interface XBee modules with computers and/or Arduino boards. Take a look at the Playground site:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Shields/Xbee01

We are now trying to figure out how many boards we could manufacture at once. Please manifest your interest in this forum thread.

/d

yeah i'm interested in probably 8 shields !

Good,

this is the type of answers we need :wink:

/d

OK, looks like no one else is going to ask: how much do you expect them to cost? (I understand it depends on volume!)

-j

I'm interested in the shield, probably just 2 though, but I'm also curious as to how the price will be.

Having just "discovered" arduino, these would be great. I'm probably interested in a couple.

2 Questions

1 - Any idea on expected price
2 - I'm assuming the xbee modules will not be included ?

Cheers

Stuart

Hej,

here we are considering several options. Most likely PCBEurope should provide this as a kit, since it has been designed to be easy to mount on your own: three resistors, one transistor, one regulator, two capacitors, one switch ... But, at the same time, we think that if PCBEurope orders all the components, things will get cheaper.

To be honest, I don't know about prices, but definetely less than XX Eur :slight_smile: It really depends on volume ... if we make 1000 at once, the price will be really small. On the other hand, we have to pay back the development costs that have been carried out by Libelium.com and Arduino.cc, as well as the investment to make the first series.

We will discuss prices with the manufacturer in terms of amounts during next week and we will announce it here. So far there are 200 ordered already!! We want to have these board on our hands before the summer. I have three courses at my university this fall that will be running on XBee and BT boards.

Please manifest your interest even if you don't know the price. The more boards the smaller the price!!

/d

(when I say all the components, I mean XBee inlcuded)

(when I say different options, you should be able of choosing the type of XBee)

/d

Probably 2 from me.

Cheers

Stuart

I will need 5 of those.

I'd likely be interested in a pair also... cost considerations apply of course.

I will buy 4.

I'd buy them right now if they were available.

Thanks for your fabulous work.

I would probably get a couple.

Cheers

Nick

Ok. So how many do we have to request for this to happen? If we get a reasonable number and price, maybe we can all resubmit the amount we need matching the amount needed to go forward.

Hej,

I will just say that we are trying to figure out the legal aspects behind this whole operation. It is much bigger than it seems at first sight. The Arduino group is for the first time teaming up with an external company in the design, test, and production of a PCB. Once we have everything on paper (hopefully during the incoming week), this new economical model will allow other circuits to be developed the same way.

With this I am basically saying that it is about to be a success-story and that we will see this boards in our hands before the summer. As for today, I can anticipate that we will have a price at some point this week..

/d

I would be interested in 5 kits for the studio to start with, thanks
(that is in ...almost ... london if your interested) :wink:

I would go for a pcb kit soon as its ready please.

• wasnt clear - it includes a XBee module or not? - was looking to buy a Xbee dev kit anyway now, various options?

cheers

jim

Yes,

the kit will include the XBee, and it acts as an XBee development kit, since it allows to send any commands to it, reprogram it, change settings, or even upgrade hardware. I am working on an example that I will post to the website tonight.

/d

PS. 5 you said? You will be willing to have 10 :wink:

I'm also interested in these boards.

Eric

check out the playground. It is lacking pictures, but I made an extensive article in how to use the XBee modules

/d

PS. 5 you said? You will be willing to have 10 Wink

well maybe 10 yeh, depends on the price. Instuituion is paying so...
Currently have like 10 Ard NGs (and now 3 Ard.BTs on order) So 5 is like the figure in my head. Convert half of them to Xbees.

• Most of the classes are still on the basics so USB is ok.

I mean I was about to order an Xbee Kit from Maxstream - something like £170 GBP for the one with (5 modules basic and pro)through Digikey. I'm sure its not cheapest, but easier to start with.

But an Arduino based kit would be better of course :slight_smile:

• I don't need the stupid windows based SDKs and serial developer boards.

So, I'll keep up to date on wiki and look forward to see whats up.

cheers,

jim