Is it possible to display an Analog meter with Arduino?

Hello,

is it possible to create an analog Panel meter with Arduino, using a grapics display?

I need it as a replacement panel meter in this machine:

A similar product is offered by Panelpilot, but this graphics is too primitive, it doesn't get close to what is needed.

I was hoping this can be done with Arduino, and build a good copy of the original.

Thanks for your comments :slight_smile:

panel-pilot.jpg

Can be done, better find a graphic lib that supports lines and text and with some sin/cos you can get the coordinates right.

I was hoping this can be done with Arduino

Yes - in principle. No - in practicality.

The programming is reasonably involved, especially if you want to code to a logic graphics interface, for portability reasons.

However, if you are willing to use a faster / cheaper chip, NXP offers emWin, completely free of charge and without any limitations, for its line of mcus. My experience with emWin (both on lpc and other chips) has been nothing but outstanding.

Please. PLEASE!!! Do not ruin that beautiful vintage gear by jamming a digital meter into it. Have a little respect for the little beastie.

(OK, overly dramatic, I know. But I just hate to see that sort of thing done, especially to such well preserved tube-era hardware.)

I need it as a replacement panel meter in this machine:

That 'machine' appears to be a vacuum tube tester? If so you might want to do a little research on it's market value as the audiophile people have bought into vacuum tube amps and pre-amps in a very big way, making the value of many of the old tube testers quite valuable. And the unit in the picture you posted seems like quite a piece of high end test equipment from a past era.

So yea, don't modify the unit until you find out if someone might want such a device and be willing to pay nicely for it. Is it functional?

Lefty

That 'machine' appears to be a vacuum tube tester?

No - it's a valve tester!!!

Please. PLEASE!!! Do not ruin that beautiful vintage gear by jamming a digital meter into it. Have a little respect for the little beastie.

I suspect that your tube tester is not in the same condition as the one in the photograph but I wouldn't modify it in any case.

Do you have the original meter? Even if it is not working you might be able to salvage the meter face and body. The underlying mechanism is most likely a basic milliammeter and you could possibly fabricate a replacement meter by grafting an ordinary milliammeter to your original body.

Don

No - it's a valve tester!!!

That's a rather 'coloured' response to make. :wink:

Lefty

This link --> http://frank.pocnet.net/instruments/AVO/MF/AVO_CT160A_Working_Instructions_and_Service_Manual_and_Inner_Workings-TIFF.pdf <-- has all kinds of information including the characteristics of the meter (it's actually a microammeter).

Don

To OP: Depends on detalization level you need. I'm doubt arduino is up to 3 - 4 scales shown on picture, except memory demand, it also would require sophisticated rendering algorithm.
1 pseudo-graphic http://coolarduino.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/audio-vu-meter/ or
Graphic LCD VU Meters - SparkFun Electronics

Or you could use a 4D Systems:http://www.4dsystems.com.au/products.php and look at the 3.2 PT and 4.3 PT serial displays. ave33 has a library for it listed somewhere here... The display is capable of some amazing things, SD card, Speaker 16 I/O organized as an 8 bit bi directional bus or 16 individual digt oital I/O, serial port in the display... The list of features is best read from the website...I own 2 of the 3.2 PT SGC modules and they work well.

Bob