Simcockpit with Real Car Instruments

Hi !!

Please help !!
Is it possible to connect Arduino Mega ATmega 1280 Microcontroller or some other controller to run a real car dashbord ??

Thanks
p.s.
sorry for bad english

Here is link to view what I mean

Thanks

Is it possible to connect Arduino Mega ATmega 1280 Microcontroller or some other controller to run a real car dashbord ??

Depends to a large extent on why you want to do that. If you've got a set of modern, electronic gauges hanging around, and you want to make the needles swing around wildly, that can be done.

If you want to do something else, perhaps you ought to explain what you want to do.

It depends on the dashboard. Old car dashboards usually have some mechanical gauges. Newer dashboards are mostly controlled by the car's built-in computer, so they will probably be easy to run with an Arduino.

Just to be a bit grumpy, there have been a lot of car related projects being undertaken at the moment along with cat feeders or aquarium controllers. At the end of the data sheet for the 168 it says:-

Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive applications. Atmel's products are not intended, authorized, or warranted for use as components in applications intended to support or sustain life.

At the end of the data sheet for the 168 it says:-

Atmel's lawyers "earning" their keep.

Since this is about a simulated dashboard, you're only allowed to express simulated grumpiness. So, nyah :stuck_out_tongue:

As opposed to the SparkFun fiasco, where real grumpiness is allowed.

Thanks for replay !

I play racing simulator game LFS (Live for Speed) long time and want make simcocpit with real instruments.These instruments on links above have air core motor ( http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/diy_aircore_instruments.htm ) and I want to buy some controller with which to manage real dashboard instruments like on links in second post.

p.s.
I'll just connect the controller with the instruments and my friend will solve the software but I do not know which controller to buy, and that it can do.
Some pictures

I have this instruments

![](http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!BfYQkHwCGk~$(KGrHqEH-CcErfFL9T3CBLBC3Mm31!~~_12.JPG)

and this is the diagram

Thanks

One of the problems you'll need to address is the fact that the Arduino is a 5V device, and those are 12V gauges. The schematic seems to imply that the speedometer and tachometer are stepper motors. Interesting. You might be able to get a pair of stepper motor controllers, to control the meters.

Here is a link with Tacho Controller by Elektronikjack http://www.x-simulator.de/wiki/Tacho_Controller_by_Elektronikjack but I want to buy completed finished controller if possible

You would need to create a SERIAL interface to the OUTGAUGE service that the program uses.

I actually managed to convert the LPT (line printer) OUTGAUGE interface that "Vladimír Kadlec" wrote so it would send SERIAL STATUS as short STRINGS.

This means that you could use the USB interface on the Arduino to listen for the data from the OUTGAUGE handler and then manipulate PINS accordingly.

The code was written in DEV-C++ (something I already enjoyed using) so it was simple to convert the LPT calls into a serial interface solution. I think this might be the best way to go.

The OUTGAUGE is designed as a NETWORK protocol so I assume you could code an ethernet shield instead... but the overhead involved with Ethernet might not leave much for the gauge control.

Just food for thought.

Thanks for answer :wink: