Control Ethernet Shield with PHP?

I am trying to control my shield with a php webpage. I can't figure out how people are sending commands to the shield with php. The problems is that I call my shield and command for example 192.168.1.5/?doorup but I don't want to go to that page I just want to send that command. How are people doing this?

Well, the old school way of not up dating the current web page was to send the requesting browser a status: 204 telling it to not to try to update the page, or send the server response to a hidden iframe in the web page, or a combination of both. Today there seems to be other ways involving java applets, javascript, ajax, and other methods.

I guess what you want is to not have direct access from outside (the internet) to the inside (your local network)?

To send a command through php you use curl to call the arduino instead, and the visitors on the page then calls that php page. Same way I do it for my home automation system.

wehnera:
I don't want to go to that page I just want to send that command. How are people doing this?

http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.get/