Open source Project / Hardware

Of course, we're not trying to imply that everything should be part of Arduino. If you want to create your own project, go for it. All we're asking is that you let us keep an eye on what happens to ours.

We're in the process of opening up our hardware designs and production files; I hope to have more to say on that soon.

Hey

that is great news. Have you also considered the possibility of at least indexing the other variants within the Arduino site?

Also, if I am not mistaken, Libelium paid $$ to the Arduino group to license the Arduino name on their product. Is that the model you're talking about-- i.e. you can work with us to use the name and maintain standards, but you have to pay for the privilege? If so, that sounds exactly like commercial licensing. One could, for example, make Coca-Cola, but you would have to arrange licensing and standards oversight, and you would have to pay for the privilege. What's the difference between that model and the one you're talking about here?

... another of our goals is to promote hardware designed by other people: helping to manufacture it, distributing it, supporting it with the Arduino software, and so on.

Yes could you elaborate on this... Does "helping" cost money, or is it free?

D

PS: as this thread has been open for two months now, I am wondering where the opinions of the rest of the team are? Why don't you guys post to this thread and participate in an open discussion? This may be one of the core problems here, that the decisions take place in private. It's an open project... how about an open discussion? Sorry to say this so bluntly, but after two months one would expect that the other team members would weigh in.