Arduino Starter Kit - will the board included change soon, or can it be changed?

I've been looking at getting an Arduino Starter Kit, but am more interested in having the Yun or Duo board in it. As my funds are limited, I don't want to get a board I may not use after going through the Starter Kit projects. Is there the option to get the kit with a different Arduino board? I don't want to purchase the Starter kit now, to only find the board in it be changed in a few months. Thanks for any info!

Well there are various starter kits that don't have the board included. So you could get one of those instead. One of the members (Terry King) has a store selling various Arduino related gear, and he has several starter kits in it: http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index.php?l=product_list&c=6

One thing about starter kits however, is whether the seller just puts all of the components in a big bag without labeling it. When I was starting out, I bought such a bag from a different seller, and it took me some period of time to figure out what some of the components were. However, in terms of this thread, Terry's starter kits do ship from the USA.

MichaelMeissner:
I bought such a bag from a different seller, and it took me some period of time to figure out what some of the components were.

If you think about it, that's not a bad thing. I did the same thing when i first started and purchased a "grab bag" from Ebay with Resistors, caps, and diodes with like 1000 pieces. After a week of sorting, I pretty much memorized the color codes on resistors..

codlink:

MichaelMeissner:
I bought such a bag from a different seller, and it took me some period of time to figure out what some of the components were.

If you think about it, that's not a bad thing. I did the same thing when i first started and purchased a "grab bag" from Ebay with Resistors, caps, and diodes with like 1000 pieces. After a week of sorting, I pretty much memorized the color codes on resistors..

I tend to be less forgiving. If a vendor sends me stuff in a single unlabeled bag, and did not list that it was a grab bag, I will not buy from them after that. I could possibly understand if it was just resistors or capacitors, where you have to use the color codes (though I prefer to have capacitors properly labeled, since I am slightly color blind, and I have had troubles telling some resistor bands apart.

I have been impressed by dipmicro.com, adafruit.com, sparkfun.com, pololu.com, and robotshop.com that do label all of their components, and have data sheets for just about every part. In the case of adafruit.com and sparkfun.com, they also have example code. So, I tend to go back to vendors that go the extra step, even if they are slightly more expensive. If they are much more expensive, then I have to weigh the pros and cons of where I buy.

MichaelMeissner:
I tend to be less forgiving. If a vendor sends me stuff in a single unlabeled bag, and did not list that it was a grab bag, I will not buy from them after that. I could possibly understand if it was just resistors or capacitors, where you have to use the color codes (though I prefer to have capacitors properly labeled, since I am slightly color blind, and I have had troubles telling some resistor bands apart.

I agree.

I have been impressed by dipmicro.com, adafruit.com, sparkfun.com, pololu.com, and robotshop.com that do label all of their components, and have data sheets for just about every part. In the case of adafruit.com and sparkfun.com, they also have example code. So, I tend to go back to vendors that go the extra step, even if they are slightly more expensive. If they are much more expensive, then I have to weigh the pros and cons of where I buy.

I do have Ebay vendors that I return to quite often for the same reasons. I use Digikey for the rare parts, love their shipping times. As well as Sparkfun. I use Sparkfun because of their open source and customer service. I like keeping businesses like that working.

codlink:
I do have Ebay vendors that I return to quite often for the same reasons. I use Digikey for the rare parts, love their shipping times. As well as Sparkfun. I use Sparkfun because of their open source and customer service. I like keeping businesses like that working.

Yes, I have a few ebay vendors that I like for similar reasons (nyplatform, usbflying, etc.).

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that I will buy from US based sellers. But occasionally, I have to go overseas. I highly recommend thaishine from Ebay, good prices and he ships fast.

I see you erased Terry's store from your last reply, lol. I haven't ordered anything from there yet.. But I may just because he's Terry!

Please forgive the thread highjacking...

codlink:
I see you erased Terry's store from your last reply, lol. I haven't ordered anything from there yet.. But I may just because he's Terry!

I had mentioned it earlier.

In general, I tend to get impatient with foreign shipping, and except for the starter kits, everything from yourdunio ships from China. So if I can't find what I want from a US vendor, I will look at his site when I'm considering buying from a foreign vendor. When I was just starting out, I did like the tutorials that he has on the site, which is why I do mention his site.