Watchdog Timer Interrupt and External Interrupt

I didn't realize this rolled pages already and missed your further posts!

Pin 2 is connected to 3.3v. The button is connected to ground which pulls the voltage down. My understanding is that pullups will not work when the arduino is in powered down sleep mode.

The intended operation is to loop through the 8 second sleep cycles until a predetermined time is reached. In testing I used 8 cycles which is about 1 minute. The the button is pressed it should skip the count and run the loop. I believe I just need to wrap the counting code in an if statement unless there is a function that can be called skip there.

Update: I have commented out anything not in the loop function that outputs to serial and everything seems to be working much better. I also flush and end the serial connection before going to sleep then begin after wake.

The 8 second sleep cycles seem consistent until I reach 48 cycles. At 48 sleep cycles the timing becomes unstable. I tested this by outputting serial data to my computer and time stamping the output. Here are the results below. Occasionally cycles 3-24 would have a 1 second variance but this was expected. The results for 48 cycles were all over the board. Any thoughts on what could cause the timing to be off randomly?

# 8 second cycles Seconds between loop runs
3 43
6 69
12 121
24 225
48 433