How many max7219s can arduino nano 328 control?

Aaron_dyer:
I'm so determined to get this working....I have two 8x8 one color matrices scrolling beautifully...making the 16x8 display.....each controlled by its own max7219 , caps are placed for each and They are cascaded ( Dout to Din) so anyways, I hooked up two more matrices making the 32x8 display....cascaded them as well. Caps for each chip there too....so recap, 4 chips, 4 matrices, the Rset resistor and 8 caps ( 2 for each chip) but only two of the four matrices are scrolling....the other two are blank....there was signs the chips turn on due to the matrices initially totally lighting up, but when it scrolls from right to left, it goes from matrix 1 to 2 but nothing when its 3's turn.....I will paste my code tomorrow as I just left work....the loads are in parallel for each, the clocks are as well.

I don't think there's any theoretical limit to how many they can control (if there is it's down to good electronic design - getting clean signals to the chips). Four chips should be no problem at all.

If two are working I suspect a software problem...