Your latest purchase

its not a matter of being subsidized, its a matter of bulk

just order 10 of something save 30 cents a unit, now order 100,000 of them ...

And when you make things in 100x previous quantities, it is possible to include tricks that radically cut the cost to make them. I know this for a fact having "been there, done it, wrote the cost estimation and bidding packages" back when I was a production engineer in the 80's.

I say possible because I'm not there. They may be clearing out a lot of items they don't want to continue or just made too many of and want to clear warehouse space. That would also be economical.

Maybe Dealextreme made a mistake and sold these at a loss? Ever find something mis-marked at a big store? Usually luck like that happens when my pockets aren't full, but I've scored before!
Or not a mistake? China LC Tech never asked what I paid, just blanket-stated they could beat the cost.

So for me and you where we are is kind of the same boat. But hey man! You want links? Maybe get some yourself?

http://dx.com/s/sd+module.html?range=ShortHeadLine1&category=499&GEPrice=1.00&LEPrice=4.00
I got the 3rd one, it's $3.20 in single but I bought 3. Catch is when you order "bulk" (more than 1) you have almost $2 shipping for the whole order instead of free shipping.

http://dx.com/c/electrical-tools-499/diy-parts-components-410
This is the whole DIY selection, note the BT module for $6.60 in single, $5.48 ea at 10.

And I got docs. The only one I couldn't have found is the module schematic showing the LM1117-3.3 between the 5V and 3.3V pins. Other than that, I might need to run at 3.3V or level shift MOSI, MISO, SCK and CS.... I need help to be sure. Man, that could ruin the "quick, clean and easy" part of this nutritious breakfast!

The rest of the docs are generic SD card and SPI specs. I will share if you want.

You do know there's info in the Playground to solder wires to an SD adapter (the kind you often get with micro-SD cards) and run directly from that (must be 3.3V levels). It's not elegant or quick and clean but to a guy with your skills I guess easy is still on the list. :wink:

Edit:
Looking more at the schematic, I see where the signal lines all connect to 3.3V through 10k resistors. I am puzzled, perhaps 5V signal loses kick through the resistors while the same don't allow enough 3.3V through to give logic level ON? For all I know, I'm looking at a level-shifter, I don't know hardware beyond the rank amateur level.

I've bought a number of items from China and yes (almost) they subsidize shipping. Most of the stuff come with free shipping.

Well, wasn't feeling too hot for a few days, so I got up to one of my favorite timekillers, bottom feeding on weird stuff on ebay. I'll just surf around looking for oddball items that nobody bids on, and throw a dollar bid. When I do this, I'll bid on like ten or twenty items, and maybe one item out of a hundred or so, I will win...

So, this time I bid on and won this:

Brand new in box "Zahm and Nagel" laboratory testing device.. seems to be some type of thing for measuring gas pressure and taking samples. Absolutely no idea what to do with it.. I think it may end up as part of the "Alchemy" props. If I find out the thing has some great value I will of course try to resell it- but since it was up for auction for a week and got ONE bid (mine) I suspect that selling it might be difficult at best. On reading the docs online, it seems it might be for brewing beer and wine, maybe the local Brew-it-yourself hobby beermaking shop might be interested.

On a more useful bent, I got four Dallas DS12887A real time clocks, new in tube.. I only needed one, and got the tube for a buck.; two SMC air valves ($1.75); a ten pack of ULN2003 ($1.60); and a five pack of 3w UV LED's ($2.50); two 328's ($3); and a couple of discretes like resistors and caps for under a dollar. The parts bins and wallet both appreciate me shopping at three am with no immediate need for the purchases being made...

focalist:
Well, wasn't feeling too hot for a few days, so I got up to one of my favorite timekillers, bottom feeding on weird stuff on ebay. I'll just surf around looking for oddball items that nobody bids on, and throw a dollar bid. When I do this, I'll bid on like ten or twenty items, and maybe one item out of a hundred or so, I will win...

So, this time I bid on and won this:

Brand new in box "Zahm and Nagel" laboratory testing device.. seems to be some type of thing for measuring gas pressure and taking samples. Absolutely no idea what to do with it.. I think it may end up as part of the "Alchemy" props. If I find out the thing has some great value I will of course try to resell it- but since it was up for auction for a week and got ONE bid (mine) I suspect that selling it might be difficult at best. On reading the docs online, it seems it might be for brewing beer and wine, maybe the local Brew-it-yourself hobby beermaking shop might be interested.

On a more useful bent, I got four Dallas DS12887A real time clocks, new in tube.. I only needed one, and got the tube for a buck.; two SMC air valves ($1.75); a ten pack of ULN2003 ($1.60); and a five pack of 3w UV LED's ($2.50); two 328's ($3); and a couple of discretes like resistors and caps for under a dollar. The parts bins and wallet both appreciate me shopping at three am with no immediate need for the purchases being made...

Sweet. That is something that American Science and Surplus would try to sell for a hundred bucks. That looks really nice, whatever the heck it is.

10 6volt DC 500ma 120-240AC switching wallwarts

I have a limited run Apple II project which requires power plugs, these things are on sale (ending tonight) for a 1.29$ each (+ like 7$ shipping) at the electronic goldmine ... now I have to be sure to use a LDO regulator, but at that price I could not refuse.

A quality telephoto for my nature shots. Almost as much for that one lens as it was to replace all that hardware!

Here's my last lens purchase

A 400mm f4 DO, $7000 near new.

For nature there's nothing like a shit-hot tele lens.

Rob

Graynomad, Wow,....just WOW. :grin:

Graynomad:

A quality telephoto for my nature shots. Almost as much for that one lens as it was to replace all that hardware!

Here's my last lens purchase

A 400mm f4 DO, $7000 near new.

For nature there's nothing like a shit-hot tele lens.

Rob

I used to have a Canon 200mm f/1.8 which is a similar built lens, really big and stubby, not as modern as this thing. When the used price on it went to $4k on eBay after it was discontinued I sold it off. The only piece of technology equipment I ever made a profit on. (bought it for $2K used when they were still in production).

@draythomp
Yes it's one nice lens. I had a 300/2.8 for years with my old Canon FD system but all that went when I changed to digital a few years ago.

This 400 is smaller and lighter than the 300/2.8, light enough to carry around just in case you need it.

@JoeN
The 200/1.8 is quite similar physically but of course useful for a very different type of photography.

I got this 2nd hand but not used from a press photographer who decided to get something bigger. When I first decided to get one they were $12k and I just couldn't justify that. I got this for something like $6995 and I see they are now $8000+ at DigitalRev.

This is one great lens, wide open with a 1.4 converter it's as sharp as a tack. This and my 1D with a flash and better beamer is my standard wildlife kit these days.

Rob

like 7$ shipping

I called up my IT guy and a box of laptop power supplies showed up on my door next day, like 20 - 30 of them. More if I had wanted.

They cannot get rid of them fast enough.

Graynomad:
@JoeN
The 200/1.8 is quite similar physically but of course useful for a very different type of photography.

Oh, I know. I was more focusing on the "big-ass white Canon lens with a HUGE front element" thing. I know it isn't important but these types of lenses are physically impressive.

these types of lenses are physically impressive.

Why do you think I bought it :slight_smile:

Actually this sort of thing is why I bought it

Rob

Those photos get a bigger WOW than the lens! Very nice, Rob!

Thanks, it keeps me off the streets :slight_smile:

More here if you want to have a look.

http://graynomad.smugmug.com/

And please take my poll here

http://robgray.com/grayoutdoors/poll.php

Rob

JoeN:

Graynomad:
@JoeN

Oh, I know. I was more focusing on the "big-ass white Canon lens with a HUGE front element" thing. I know it isn't important but these types of lenses are physically impressive.

You mean size does matter? :smiley:

Is this cool or what?

Adjustable 20 watt max switching mode adjustable voltage regulator (step down) with adjustable automatic current limiter (0-2A), and with display switchable to input voltage, output voltage, or output current draw or alternating display. I couldn't pass it up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170929163665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Graynomad:
And please take my poll here
http://robgray.com/grayoutdoors/poll.php

XD

Only $11, amazing. I might grab a couple myself.

@CB
Totally unbiased, honest.

Rob

I couldn't pass up one of these:

photo.png