Space Invaders - 8x8 LED Matrix

Hi all!

I would like to share my project that I made for class. It's the classic Space Invaders game on an 8x8 LED Matrix using an Arduino Nano and using a button and potentiometer to interact with it.
Check out the video and for more info go to http://www.elwinlee.com/portfolio/entertainment-technology/space-invaders-8x8-led-matrix/

Hope you guys enjoy it! :smiley:

hi,
That's great, is all the sound in the video also coming from Arduino ?

You should put the project into a nice enclosure and keep it.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

That's brilliant, Space Invaders in 64 pixels, who would have thought.

Rob

Hi,
I guess your in college and will not remember these machines, but when my generate were kids we used to place space invaders on Grandstand table top arcade games, Astro Wars was a very popular game in this series.

The reason I bring this up is that if you put your project into a nice enclosure as I suggested earlier you could look at getting a transparency printed which would mask the LED light into invader shapes at the top, missiles in the middle and the player ship at the bottom. In my old school opinion, this would look amazing.

I am going to ask a printer if they would be able to do this, I wanted to build a pong or breakout machine myself, but if I can get a simple sprite effect using a transparency, I might go for invaders instead.

Will let you know.

My generation loved this machine -
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Grandstand/Astro.htm

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

I probably still have the Space Invaders record on a machine a pub in Colchester (UK) :slight_smile:

Rob

DuaneB:
hi,
That's great, is all the sound in the video also coming from Arduino ?

You should put the project into a nice enclosure and keep it.

Duane B

rcarduino.blogspot.com

No, the sound in the video is just a music clip that I put under it. I actually have some sound effects implements using a piezo speaker when you hit a target and when you win/lose, but the sound is very faint :slight_smile:

Hi, have a look at the LM328 chip, it's a great little audio amplifier on a chip that can be used to drive PC speakers from an Arduino.

Duane

Nicely done!

This is great. Admin can we have a new heading maybe just for 8x8 implementations of different games?

I hope to have a few simple one's soon. Snake Tetris Pong.. i didn't think there was enough room for space invades though. it is really good