Modular system to build a light structure

Hello,

I’m working in a art installation and I’m looking for a light modular system of light bars in wood o metal that allows to build a light structure to hold and IRQ sensor with Arduino.

Does anyone know something like that?

Salutations,
Gonzalo

Bamboo? light and strong!

Good idea robtillaart.

The problem is that I don't have the tools and the ability to make it look as good it should be.

I'm looking for something already made that can be assembled and is stable enough.

goza:
Good idea robtillaart.

The problem is that I don't have the tools and the ability to make it look as good it should be.

I'm looking for something already made that can be assembled and is stable enough.

How about something like grid beam?:

http://www.gridbeamnation.com/

Unfortunately, grid beam tends to be "heavy" as I don't know of any place to obtain aluminum extrusion grid beam; most available grid beam is steel. Any other material you wanted you would have to make it yourself, which isn't as easy as it sounds, especially if you don't have access to a CNC drill machine to keep accuracy of hole placement high.

Then again - you could bootstrap your way to that, maybe?:

http://www.contraptor.org/

How about t-slot aluminum extrusions?:

Not cheap - but a possibility.

You might also try PVC pipe and glue - fairly easy to work with, fairly strong and lightweight, and inexpensive...

Hi cr0sh

Thanks a lot for all this information it's just what I'm looking for.

goza:
Hi cr0sh

Thanks a lot for all this information it's just what I'm looking for.

I was at my local Lowes yesterday, and was in the garden department, and I saw something that made me think of your request...

Basically - in the gardening department - near the trellises and tree support area, there was a display with a rack of various "support poles" for trees. They had ones made out of wood (pine I think - they were fairly lightweight, at about 20 x 20mm in cross-section, 1.2m long), plus bamboo rods - but they also had these long "poles" - about 15mm in diameter and made of fiberglass (I think), pointed at one end - 1.2 or 1.8m long. They were very inexpensive, too.

:slight_smile: