how does arduino client talks to a server

im very new to arduino and im a bit confused about how the arduino client connect to a server.

in general I know about two common approaches to client-server connections:

1. http request-response (stateless)
  2. open socket connection (persistent)

i'm trying to understand what approach is common with the arduino, and specifically in all the example code.

i looked at the examples where the arduino is the client side, and i see that they all use client.connect(server, 80)

does it means that this is a socket connection and that until I call 'disconnect' I will have an open socket between client and server and I can send data back and forth?
or will the server close the connection directly after returning the first response?

i'm trying to understand what approach is common with the arduino, and specifically in all the example code.

The most common approach is for the client to make a GET request, and for the server to satisfy that request and close the connection.

does it means that this is a socket connection and that until I call 'disconnect' I will have an open socket between client and server and I can send data back and forth?

It means that a connection has been made, and that you can now send a GET, PUT, or POST request. Typically, the server closes it's end of the connection when it is done sending data. The socket becomes available for reuse when the client reads all the data from the server.