NewSoftSerial Library: An AFSoftSerial update

I'm getting a "Page not found" error when trying to download the latest version.

Ouch. Sorry. I thought I had tested all the links. Try again.

http://sundial.org/arduino/NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial5.zip

Mikal

And would someone please compile NSS 5 on OSX for Diecimila/Duemilanove and send me the binary? I would like to run it through my test bench.

Check your private messages.

Tonight I thoroughly tested etracer's OSX build of NewSoftSerial v5 and it performs admirably at all supported baud rates, perhaps even slightly better than the Windows build.

Thanks again, etracer, for your work.

Mikal

i fixed a small bug in the interrupt names that was giving 328's a 'compiles but freaks' problem
also made the examples folder a little neater
otherwise, works very nicely with 1 GPS module under v13 ide on windows and mac osx tested with 168 and 328p

http://www.ladyada.net/media/gpsshield/NewSoftSerial_18-02-09.zip

Thank you very much, ladyada.

Mikal

I posted NewSoftSerial 6 today, which contains ladyada's contributions. This new version supports the Atmega328p that she sells. Go buy a bunch of them.

Thanks,

Mikal

well, to be specific, it should work under any 328p
-however- the interrupt bug in v13 is not resolved so there may be freaky experiences.

Note also that the inline assembly work-around for the OSX 0013 interrupt bug that I provided may not work with the 328. I don't know if the compiler will generate the same register code as for a 168 (and I don't have any 328's to test with).

That being said, I suspect it will work because I can't see any way that the buggy 4.3.0 version of the compiler would know about the 328 and have specific optimizations.

-however- the interrupt bug in v13 is not resolved so there may be freaky experiences.

Oh, sorry, I thought you said in your previous post that you had tested NSS5 with etracer's workaround on the 328p... ?

otherwise, works very nicely with 1 GPS module under v13 ide on windows and mac osx tested with 168 and 328p

Is this not correct?

M

the 'hack' etracer added will resolve it as long as those are the registers used. the compiler can pick nearly any registers so in some cases it will still break.

the bug in v13 really needs to be fixed for NSS (and nearly any arduino code with interrupts) to work perfectly all the time
ive poked dmellis about it but hes probably quite busy & i didn't get a date for when it will be fixed :frowning:

Since this OSX avr-gcc interrupt bug is killing me on a number of projects, I got impatient and hacked in avr-gcc 4.3.2 into my OSX Arduino-0013 install. I can report that the new version fixes the interrupt bug. One minor thing I noticed is that my small test program was a little larger with avr-gcc 4.3.2. Overall it was 130 bytes larger or about 3%. This may not be significant as I'm not sure my hacked install has all of the same compile options as the "official" Arduino version will.

Also note that the corrected interrupt vector names that ladyada fixed in the latest version are critical for avr-gcc 4.3.2. With the old vector names the code would compile, but the chip would reset whenever an interrupt occurred. So there's nothing to fix as code is now correct, but it's just something to be aware of.

@mikalhart: I added some conditional compiling based on avr-gcc version so that the inline assembly hacks would only be included if needed (for 4.3.0). I'll PM you with a link, but here's the gist of the changes:

In NewSoftSerial.h, define GCC_VERSION

#ifndef GCC_VERSION
#define GCC_VERSION (__GNUC__ * 10000 + __GNUC_MINOR__ * 100 + __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__)
#endif

For avr-gcc 4.3.0, GCC_VERSION will be 40300 (40302 for 4.3.2, etc.)

In NewSoftSerial.cpp, put conditional compilation around the inline assembly so that it's only included for version 4.3.0 (the only version to be included with the IDE that has the bug). I also updated the comment to indicate 4.3.0 instead of only 4.3.

// Work-around for avr-gcc 4.3.0 OSX version bug
// Preserve the registers that the compiler misses
// (courtesy of Arduino forum user *etracer*)
#if (GCC_VERSION == 40300)
  asm volatile(
      "push r18 \n\t"
      "push r19 \n\t"
      "push r20 \n\t"
      "push r21 \n\t"
      "push r22 \n\t"
      "push r23 \n\t"
      "push r26 \n\t"
      "push r27 \n\t"
      ::);
#endif

and

// Work-around for avr-gcc 4.3.0 OSX version bug
// Restore the registers that the compiler misses
#if (GCC_VERSION == 40300)
  asm volatile(
      "pop r27 \n\t"
      "pop r26 \n\t"
      "pop r23 \n\t"
      "pop r22 \n\t"
      "pop r21 \n\t"
      "pop r20 \n\t"
      "pop r19 \n\t"
      "pop r18 \n\t"
      ::);
#endif

On a non-interrupt-bug note...

I might suggest changing your versioning scheme. It's kind of confusing to have NewSoftSerial1, NewSoftSerial2, etc. This scheme implies a major version change that added new features or fuctionality. The common versioning scheme is to use a major version number (probably 1 in this case), a minor revision (maybe 1 or 2?), and a patch level (maybe 5 or 6?).

Lastly, it would be helpful to change how you package each version. Having the directory named "NewSoftSerial6" will cause confusion for new users that are unaware that they should remove the 6 before putting it in their library directory. Then when NewSoftSerial7 comes along and they copy that, they'll get all kinds of compile errors due to the duplicate source files.

I would suggest something like this:

NewSoftSerial-1_2_3
-- NewSoftSerial
---- Examples
---- NewSoftSerial.cpp
---- NewSoftSerial.h

Then when the users expand NewSoftSerial-1_2_3.zip they can directly copy the enclosed NewSoftSerial directory to their libraries.

@etracer--

Thanks for testing with 4.3.2. I had already implemented the conditional compilation of the workaround, using GNUC_PATCHLEVEL etc., but was just waiting for confirmation that the new compiler actually did fix the problem before rolling it out.

Your point about the organization of the ZIP file is a good one. I should have thought of that. I'll certainly release the next version of NSS in that format. I probably will stick with the single-digit versioning, though. I don't think that NewSoftSerial is a big enough project to warrant an x.y.z versioning scheme, and I would have to change the NewSoftSerial::library_version() interface to support it.

Thanks much! Nice work as always.

Mikal

Again, thank you all (especially mikalhart) for the great work on this. I'd love to replace the existing SoftwareSerial with this library.

Is there a chance that someone can add support for 8 MHz processors?

Also, what's the best option for people using the ATmega8? Should we just conditionally revert to the current SoftwareSerial library?

@mellis,

I've got an Arduino Pro here, and if I can get some time, it is at the top of my priority stack to add support for 8MHz (and possibly 20MHz) processors. What would be supporting the ATmega8 entail?

@etracer,

I tested the binary you sent (compiled under OSX with the 4.3.2 compiler and the new conditional #ifdef workaround) and it passed my baud rate test bench with flying colors. I should be posting a new version of the library shortly. Thanks!

Mikal

Awesome library. I can't wait to use it. Will it support odd baud rates like 976 and 7812? I am pulling data from devices that are rather antiquated.

Thanks!

Is it fairly easy to update the compiler for arduino-0013? Do you have to build it, or is there a binary distribution you can just untar in the right place?

Is it fairly easy to update the compiler for arduino-0013? Do you have to build it, or is there a binary distribution you can just untar in the right place?

Here's how I did it for OSX (this will probably work for Linux as well but I don't know where to get a precompiled binary)... These instructions assume you have arduino-0013 installed inside your Applications folder.

1. Download AVRMacPack-20081213.dmg
  2. Run the installer
  3. Open up Terminal
  4. cd /usr/local/AVRMacPack
  5. Select GCC4: ./bin/avr-gcc-select 4
  6. TAR up the entire directory tree: tar cvf /tmp/avr-gcc432.tar .
  7. Inside your Arduino-0013 folder go to hardware/tools
  8. Rename the current avr folder avr_old and create a new empty avr folder
  9. In terminal: cd to /Applications/arduino-0013/hardware/tools/avr
  10. Un-tar the new version in the empty avr directory: tar xvf /tmp/avr-gcc432.tar
  11. You need to "rescue" the avrdude program from the avr_old folder as the Arduino version is custom and the one included with the AVRMacPack won't work. Copy avr_old/bin/avrdude to avr/bin/avrdude and avr_old/etc/avrdude.conf to avr/etc/avrdude.conf

Note that I used tar because I wanted to make sure that permissions and symbolic links would be preserved. Doing a Finder copy might work - but I don't know.

You also want to make sure that all of the libraries get recompiled. The simplest way to do this is to change the board type in the IDE (and then change it back).

A MAJOR CAVEAT
Since this installation method uses the pre-build compiler from AVRMacPack, the paths to the components are embedded in the various executables. In this case they point to the installation directory for AVRMacPack under /usr/local. So this means you must leave AVRMacPack installed for the IDE to work and be able to compile sketches. Copying the modified arduino-0013 directory to another computer will not work unless you also install AVRMacPack on that computer.

EDIT: Corrected step 11 by adding avrdude.conf and added the caveat warning.

I just posted NewSoftSerial 7, which makes etracer's workaround conditional upon the avr-gcc compiler version. Thanks again, etracer.

http://sundial.org/arduino/index.php/newsoftserial/

@Frank: No, NewSoftSerial does not support a continuous range of baud rates, and the two you mention below are not among the discrete set. However, you should be able to patch your copy of the library to work at those speeds by adding a couple of cases for them in the begin() method. I would guess that for 976, you'd set _bitDelay to something like 2284, and for 7812, you might try 281. These will probably require tweaking, but it's a start.

Mikal

etracer, can you post up a .sit or .dmg of your patched v13? if so, i can host it on ladyada.net...let me know, otherwise i will put it on my todo list :slight_smile: