Benefits (advantages) of creating Libraries

Hello everybody.

As my project progresses and I keep adding hardware and libraries I was wondering If I should create my own. I must admit that I'm not as C++ fluent as I would like to be, hence I come here for your comments.

What are the benefits of creating Libraries vs in-sketch formulas?

Use of libraries enables code reuse without duplication.

I built a simple library to control a motor connected to a H bridge for several reasons

1. To see whether I understood enough to do it.
  2. To enable the methods I included in the class to have meaningful names
  3. To be able to control more than one motor and to give them names
  4. So that I could use the library in several programs without copy/paste of functions between them
  5. To get experience so that I could understand the workings of other libraries.

What are the benefits of creating Libraries vs in-sketch formulas?

Less hair to wash, comb, etc.

Same amount of hair but you just get someone else to wash, comb etc

UKHeliBob:

These points relate to using classes, not libraries.

I think the biggest benefit of developing libraries is the ease in which you can share your solutions with others so that they may benefit from your work. The vast number of 3rd party library contributions is one of the main things that makes Arduino the best and most popular platform for both beginners and many experienced alike.

The Arduino platform was build on the shoulders of several open source projects and library contributions is one of the best ways people can give back.

Lefty

PeterH:

UKHeliBob:

These points relate to using classes, not libraries.

True. My fault for conflating the 2 ideas in my post, although putting a class into a library seems the natural thing to do.
The advantages of having the same class easily available to several programs was actually the reason I created the library.

Thanks! I now have a better understanding of Libraries!... Regards!