LCD information requested

I was wondering if anyone had any information about an LCD display
P16245B-C R3
I removed it from a Samsung telephone with the view of seeing if I could find out how to drive it with Arduino. When I Googled the p/n the only pages that came up, that I thought I could recognise were from Asian and Russian electronics forums. Someone on one of these forums suggested this as a possible pinout via Google translate

1: 0
2 5V
3: Vo
4: RS
5: RW
6: E
7: DB0
8: DB1
9: DB2
10: DB3
11: DB4
12: DB5
13: DB6
14: DB7

Seeing as I cannot attach a row of header pins to the display, what is the best way to access the traces of the hard plastic ribbon cable. Also if these pinouts seem plausible, what should I try and control it with,LiquidCrystal library ? Thanks for any possible suggestions, let the hacking commence. 8)

It looks like it may be a regular run-of-the-mill character mode LCD. Have you tried the tutorial in the Arduino playground (http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LiquidCrystal)?

... what is the best way to access the traces of the hard plastic ribbon cable.

Sorry, I can't see the other end of the cable.

Don

Sorry about the picture quality Don

Sorry about the picture quality Don

I was going to make a snide remark about my camera not being very good at making phone calls but I see that you actually used a real camera.

Anyway, it looks like your best bet will be to solder wires to the pads on the end of the cable and stick the other ends into a breadboard.

Don

Thanks Don, that will test my soldering prowess 8)

Why not just de-solder the ribbon cable and solder your own wires on? Might be easier.

Is it a 2 line display? The '162' in the 'P16245B-C R3' code could signify 16x2. It's a wild guess as there's no image of the front.

Why not just de-solder the ribbon cable and solder your own wires on? Might be easier.

I suggested leaving the cable intact because the flexibility of the cable between the display and the breadboard will make it easier to move the display around to where it is visible.

Is it a 2 line display? The '162' in the 'P16245B-C R3' code could signify 16x2.

Most likely it is a 16x2 for the reason you mention, but it really doesn't matter at this point. Once he gets power applied the configuration will become apparent.

Don

Thanks for your suggestions gents. I'm with you regarding the flexibility rationale Don. I'll see how I go.

I eventually got around to connecting up the LCD... nice and big display 8)

Congrats! Nice display.

Thanks codlink. Yes it is bigger than the Chinese Ebay ones that I have bought, but unfortunately no backlight.Oh well there is something satisfying about getting one out of a telephone that is going to landfill 8)

Makes me want to go around looking for old LCDs and displays.