Opensource DIY clothes dryer

retrolefty:

boelle:
most work that way...

but what could improve is variable heat source where most dryers operate on a simple on/off and that will cause some overshoot which is a waste of energy.

Why would overshoot/undershoot be a waste of energy. Is not all the heat energy generated directly going into the drying of the material? As long as you are not continuing to send heat into the material that is already 'dry enough' I don't see where the 'waste' is? Too much heat, time to 'dry enough' shortened, too little heat, time to 'dry enough' takes a little longer, no net change on total heating BTU consumed used to reach the it's 'dry enough' setpoint.

adding an arduino also allows for custom cycles. one of my fav's will be a cycle that targets on humidity but use lower temps, this will of course result in a longer cycle but will save on the bill. Why would this save energy consumed, it should take the same amount of total BTUs to remove xx amount of moisture from the material because it's a heat/time product equation? of course you have to judge time used against heat used... why i included a current sensor so that electricity used can be messured...

again its mostly stitching code together that are my biggest issue in this project.

might just be me, but going over a set temp means waste to me, i agree that i will just get the clothes done more quickly, but i like to go as precise as possible