communication PLC micrologix 1400 using modbus protocol for arduino mega

hello friends

i am communicating my PLC with arduino MEGA using modbus protocol i am putting PLC as modbus rtu slave and wants arduino mega as modbus RTU master
does anybody have code for modbus master which will communicate with PLC
or please send me the link
please reply i want that code for my project as soon as possible

Read this before posting a programming question

Well the arduino playground has this listing: Arduino Playground - ModbusMaster Library

And I'm sure a google search for "arduino modbus" will bring up lots of other possibilities.

Lefty

hello,

I am struggling with modbus rtu protocol as well.

read wikipedia, Nicks' tutorial, everything whats written in arduino website.

But can not understand how are the registers send.

For example, from Arduino Playground - ModbusMaster Library

what does these do in the loop function? :

static uint32_t i;
  uint8_t j, result;
  uint16_t data[6];

then we have the line :

// slave 1: write TX to (2) 16-bit registers starting at register 0
  result = node.WriteMultipleRegisters(0, 2);

I understand that the protocol should send two 16 bit info, but what does it send? any random bits? Because there is no info, saying what exactly it is beeing sent, and where is that info taken from.

Any help is much appreciated.

This is what I got to work a while back. Modbus over etherenet via an Uno and a ML1400 micrologix controller. 1766-l32awaa I think. It has been a while.

Modbus.rar (74.4 KB)

dear arthur duhaime sir

thanks for your reply i have got ML-1400 SERIES A PLC and i want to be my arduino mega as a modbus master and PLC as a modbus slave so that i can read the status of the input coil or write to the output coil using arduino and i want to communicate it via serially

will u suggest me what should i do i am using the library Arduino Playground - ModbusMaster Library
but i am not geeting by using this how to read the status of my input or write the coil

please reply

thanking you
dhruvit

I cant comment on the library but if you are talking to an ML series PLC then you will be taking to blocks not functions or symbols.

You could talk to the 'I' & 'O' registers directly but it isn't recommended and the addressing looks strange to boot.
Your best solution to to map the IO in some ladder like this.

XIC (B3:0/0) ______ OTE (O:0/0)
XIC (I:0/0) _______ OTE (B3:1/0)

Now you have the simplified task of talking to the first two bytes of B3 ( something like B0003 in modus terms. )
I strongly recommend that you download a PC based mod-bus program to get the protocol working as you want, which may take a bit of fiddling.
Once you know 'exactly' how to read or write a bit in B0003 you can start thinking about building this into an Arduino

hope this helps
Al

dear arthur duhaime sir

thankyou for your reply
i have a modscan 32 protocol through which i can easily read my status of the input and write the output coil using
N12(WRITE O/P) N13 (READ I/P COIL) which is i have programmed in PLC
The same thing i want to do it using my arduino

i cant understed what you are trying to say by this sentence

you have the simplified task of talking to the first two bytes of B3 ( something like B0003 in modus terms. )

waiting for your reply

Sorruy 'modus' should have said modbus.

The point is the registers that you will define and interrogate, in the PLC, from your master, the Arduino will always be blocks, never wires or instructions.

Physical I/O can be directly mapped as an appropriately sized block will be defined when adding an IO module to the controller however these are dynamic so may not exist and it is better practice to manually define a block or blocks for your communication requirements and them map, or mirror, the data, symbols, from your ladder.

Theoretically a value could be changed mid scan by your coms which is not the way physical IO is implemented in the ML PLC.
What you probably want to achieve is to read and write all your coms registers once per program scan within the PLC ...

Hope that clarifies it for you.

dear arthur duhaime sir

thankyou for your keen interset in my queries
i am a student from india amd currently doing my M.E(ELECRONICS ENGINEERING)
i have understood your answer
but how do i achive that in arduino?????
i know this is not a good question to ask but i am really stuck up WITH this problem for the last 1 months and unless i will get it solved i will not get my degree???????

hope you understand my problem

waiting for your reply