Billie's Hydroponic Controller

It's actually a 5V adapter for the relay module. I made a mistake before :wink:
You connect the VCC and GND from the relay to the + and - of the 5V adapter and the inputpin and GND from the relay to the Arduino GND and outputpin. That way your ground (GND) becomes what's called 'common'...
The output from the relay are 3 connectors per channel (NC and NO) and are isolated from the input circuit. So you can even switch 120/230V AC if you like (But be careful if you do. Electricity is dangerous :wink: )
You connect the peristaltic pumps to each channel per pump on the NO (normally open) connections together with the adapter in series... When you put your Arduino outputpin high the relay switches and current will flow making the pump turn...

Hey everybody,

It's been a while since my last update.
I was currently busy developing a shield for my controller. Since Eagly CAD doesn't agree with me it's taking quite some time...
In the meantime I found a cool website with lot's of information about the subject. He (Andrew) calls this the 'Arduarium Controller', but since this shield has everything my controller needs I'm trying to build it myself. You can buy the shield ready made, the bear PCB and Andrew even put the Eagle files on Github for people to use. The Eagle files are licensed under the TAPR Open Hardware License.

Meanwhile I have another short movie ready for you guys and gals to see the results from my controller. I foresee that the plants will reach the sealing within a month or so...

Thanks a lot for posting this great project! I feel the same way about sharing. If you want a copy of my CO2 controller code, let me know. Easy interface with any CO2 sensor: I used the analog out of my NOSE monitors (with humidity, temp, CO2 & webserver built in) to control a relay for fan & CO2 burner or tank. I think it would be a nice addition to your project.
Thanks again for posting -I'm just beginnning to read the posts but had to post on your comment about sharing. I'd love to see some open source grow software. Not just Arduino but PC too.
Damn - Now I'm going to be up all night...
DX

PS - Here's a link to the NOSE monitor page. Not like you need the temp/humidity but it's nice to be able to check status via the webserver.

If you want one of the modules for half price, let me know.

Hey DX,

Thanks for your kind reply!! The purpose of this project was to create a low budget, open-source controller which could be used all over the world so people could improve their crop yield and have more money to spend on other things other then food...
Though this project is still in it's infancy I hope one day it will be used by many people.
And off course I'm interested to see your code so you'll soon get a pm from me :smiley:
The screen shots from your web interface look very promising, though implementing CO2 wasn't initially in my plan. I looked it up for some idea's about it and one could build a CO2 generator for a very low budget...So thanks for pointing this out to me :wink:
Will be looking out for some cheap CO2 sensors out there...

With kind regards,

Billie

This is awesome!

Any chance you could re-upload your most recent sketch?

Thx! :slight_smile:
The latest one that's workable is already on-line :wink:
Since the controller is doing it's job in the greenhouse I haven't updated it to check if the code is working properly...

Was that the filedropper link? It doesn't seem to be working (the link just takes me to their homepage)... Is it possible for you to reupload it?

Oh I see...Here's a new link :wink:

With kind regards,

Billie

Hi Billie

I've read through your thread, this project is very interesting.

Just a question regarding the temperature control problem with your fans switching on and off... (I cannot figure out how to place a quote here).

Where is your temperature sensor? (mounted high in your growing room, or down low?). I think that by mounting it up high, you would register a slower rate of temp change, as the colder air from the fans would fill the room from the bottom. Also, what about mounting a small fan to constantly blow air over the sensor, so that you get a more general temperature reading. I'm an aircraft mechanic, and in my experience, this is how various aircraft manufacturers rig up their cabin temperature sensors, in order to maintain a constant temperature. As soon as the fan stops, or the airflow over the sensor gets blocked by something, the temp control becomes erratic.

Just a thought, hanks again for a great project.

Thank you for the interesting input :slight_smile:
The temp/humidity sensor is mounted on the side of the controller, which isn't the best solution...But this is a prototype so I knew there would be problems I would run in to...

Yesterday I made a new movie inside the greenhouse. The plants are growing wild at the moment... Harvested about two kilo's of Jalapeno's and there are more to follow :wink:

With kind regards,

Billie

This forum needs like buttons on posts. Verdant job there, Bill.

Thanks! :smiley:
I agree! I've also seen some great projects out there which deserve a thumbs up :wink:
Edit: Just found out that there's a system like that on this forum. There's a button/link beneath your avatar that called Karma... Press on it and it's like a 'thumbs up' :wink:

Its pretty awesome!
And the PH reader is really accessible, I had trouble finding one when I was doing something similar.

Great work!

Any chance we could get the code on github or such?

I'm looking to build something similar for an NFT system... wouldn't mind documenting as I go and compiling the hardware lists that are thru-out this thread if we had a repo to save it all somewhere.

nice job, !

-Mike

kripthor:
Its pretty awesome!
And the PH reader is really accessible, I had trouble finding one when I was doing something similar.

Great work!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

mikegreen:
Any chance we could get the code on github or such?

It already is on github --> link :wink:

Hello Billie

Thanks for your reply on PM
As asked, I'll switch to the forum.
I'll be ordering the hardware today.
Question - is this what I need?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SainSmart-Mega2560-3-2-LCD-TFT-Touch-Screen-SD-Reader-4-Arduino-UNO-R3-Robot-/261094891095?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3cca77de57&_uhb=1#ht_8924wt_1031

And my second question - will this board allow me to expand to an internet and/or SMS (cellphone text) connectivity at some time in the future ?

Thanks in advance, apologies on basic questions as I'm a complete beginner at this

Mike

The kit is ok, but there's a chance that the sd reader doesn't work. You'll have to ask the seller.
Network functionality will be a problem because of conflicting pins ( ie pin 10 & 4) between the ethernet card and the tft shield... You could try and resolder some pins and try to recode everything, but that's beyond my expertise. Another option is to use a seperate arduino to connect to the network :wink:

Let me know how your build continues...

Ah, OK, glad I asked you first Billie :slight_smile:

Can you suggest a bundled kit of components that would be suitable for your software (Arduino + Touch Screen Display + SD Card Reader)?

I found this on e-bay too....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-2-TFT-LCD-Shield-Touch-Screen-w-TF-SD-Reader-for-Arduino-Mega-2560-A080-/251117559109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a77c5dd45#ht_6683wt_1029

and this....

And as you mentioned it, it may be that my application does not require the SD Card Module.... have you found being able to store and replay the data is of value, particulalarly for a non-experimenter like me?

And yes, as a future add on, a dedicated Arduino Ethernet shield would be a much more flexible solution.

Thanks again !

Mikefrancis:
Ah, OK, glad I asked you first Billie :slight_smile:

Can you suggest a bundled kit of components that would be suitable for your software (Arduino + Touch Screen Display + SD Card Reader?

I can only advise you the parts I used, because that's what I got. But if you are willing to forfait the sd card, then the kit will do :wink:

Hi Billie,

great work. I was wondering if you ever consider an RFM12B to talk to a Raspbbery PI. A little like it works with openenergymonitor.
I've ordered a kit from sainsmart in order to make a setup like yours, and gonna try to integrate with emoncms or something like it, so it's possible to check what's happening via web. This would allow a graphical logging solution and interface with SMS gateways in order to receive alarms if something goes wrong. Second step would be to control (adjust) the system from a webpage so one doesn't have to be onsite to make an important change if needed.

If someone wants to participate or have interesting ideas to complement just let me know.

-----> Waiting by the door for my kit to arrive :roll_eyes:

Tiago