The HATRED for String objects - "To String, or not to String"

zoomkat:
What was really said :

So reworking the arduino code to utilize C++ chars rather than strings seems to have solved the problem with it acting inconsistently. The flicker that remained ended up a simple fix. I shortened the length of the wires connecting the buffers as much as physically possible (approximately an inch). I am still unsure why it only was a problem with the Uno and not the Duemilanove. Regardless, it works perfectly on both now. I am attaching a photo of the 1st panel running on the Raspberry Pi with an Uno (Left) and a Duemilanove (Right). All addresses work perfectly and no flicker.

I'm not satisfied with clues but that comes from years of debugging. So I went to that thread and ASKED the poster what that meant. Apparently Strings are Arduino code where char arrays are C++ to the beginner.
There's also the "reworking" part that you might have 'got' if you had looked at the original String-based code and the posts saying to ditch Strings, etc, that should have told you that the post you quoted does NOT actually support your view.