programmer is not responding...

Hey, I made my own Arduino from the arduino duemilanove Eagle schematic found on the site. I bought an Atmega328 with the bootloader preloaded from sparkfun.com. When I try to upload a sketch, I get the following error message:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
I am using a mac OS X. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch.

UPDATE** It works on Windows 7, but when I switch over to Mac OS X, it gives me problems. I need it to work on the MAC side because I have another program (Labview) that needs to communicate with it. I only have the Labview license for MAC.

I don't use Macs but I can infer that drivers are not properly installed in MacOS. When it's properly installed, the arduino shows up as an additional serial port. Open arduino IDE and look under tools->serial port. If you don't see any additional port popping up after you plug in your arduino, you need driver.

Hey liudr,

Thanks for the response. I've downloaded the lastest drivers from FTDI's website for MAC OS X ( multiple times : / haha). An additional Serial Port does show up in the Arduino IDE, so it does recognize my board. It keeps giving me that error. Just annoys me that it's only on the MAC side...

Thanks again for the response!

Anyone else have any ideas at all? I have the latest version of avrdude and I don't know what else to check. I heard that there can be conflicts with Java Serial on Mac with other programs.. Is this true? Where do I check for these conflicts?

Thanks

I tried to upload a different sketch on the PC side and it worked. Now, when I try to re-upload the sketch that I actually need on the board, I cannot upload it. I now get this error on the PC side:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Any ideas?

Get an AVR programmer.

There are cheap ones available (usbtiny + clones) that are known to work on MACs as well.

You'll get the money back by buying blank avr chips. The bootloaded ones tend to cost noticeably more.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Any ideas?

I have an idea. Take either one of your error messages and paste it into the search box at the top of the page. They each give more than 700 hits.

Don

Hey, Thanks for the response. I made a makeshift switch using a wire (since I didn't have one on my PCB circuit since I never needed it before). I tried a few timing situations with that and it now works on PC again : ) Still not Mac though. At least it half works : )

The AVR Programmer is a good idea. I'll have to invest in one.