Programming for newbies?

Is there some other languages than C++ available for Arduino? I personally can use C++ but people often ask for an easy way to program some simple things. And C++ for an absolute beginner is quite a lot, expecially if you want a delay or something like that.

Something like for instance Labview where you draw what you want.

Is there some other languages than C++ available for Arduino?

No.

for an absolute beginner is quite a lot, expecially if you want a delay

Come off it, what is hard about
Delay(1000) ?

LMI:
And C++ for an absolute beginner is quite a lot

It would be very off-putting if the newcomer was presented with a 2 inch thick C++ textbook and told "You're not getting an Arduino until you know all that".

But if you start with an Arduino and play around with the many examples that come with the IDE you will soon learn enough C++ without even noticing it.

The Arduino is great for learning-by-doing.

...R

Well
It looks like there are not many substitutes even for Windows. Pylabs is one I found. Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.
Using Labview was like children's play. (That's what Windows is: Children's toys?)
And compare it to this:

template<class T, size_t N>
size_t array_length(T (&arr)[N])
{
    return N;
}

Above is a example from Net. I have idea what it does, except nightmares.

there is also a BASIC for atmel processors, check the ELEKTOR magazine, they promote it on a regular basis.

Programming microcontrollers in LabView - now that would give me nightmares!

For a beginner who never wants a career in embedded programming, then a tool like LabView might be easy way to program. Not LabView itself obviously, because even the student edition is $100s.

For a beginner who does want a career in embedded software, the Arduino IDE is actually a good place to start, it is a lot like professional tools.

You can get all sorts of crap from the net. They even have C obfuscation competitions

Just because C can be obscure and difficult to follow it does not mean it has to be.

LMI:

template<class T, size_t N>

size_t array_length(T (&arr)[N])
{
   return N;
}

There are thousands of great reasons and great examples for people who need to justify avoiding something.

On the other hand if you really do want to do stuff just get an Arduino and get started.

...R

It is difficult to recommend C(++) to someone who has newer really programmed and does not want to start now. But many people know about PLCs , relays and so on. They still hope to do some basic functions, like delays and comparisons. For those who need it using microprocessors should be as easy as it gets.

LMI:
It is difficult to recommend C(++) to someone who has newer really programmed and does not want to start now. But many people know about PLCs , relays and so on. They still hope to do some basic functions, like delays and comparisons. For those who need it using microprocessors should be as easy as it gets.

I've seen Labview systems in production sites and they are horrible. Expensive and unmaintainable.

To be honest, I think it is the worst way to teach programming. You would never be able to run anything like on that on an Arduino anyway.

I've seen Labview systems in production sites and they are horrible. Expensive and unmaintainable.

The bottom line is that anyone can write crap in any language. If you don't do it correctly LabView becomes a write only language.

Grumpy_Mike:
becomes a write only language.

Plenty of C++ examples of that on this Forum :slight_smile:

...R

Well. I have done some write only software myself, too. Sometimes it happens overnight. I write something and the next day I have no idea what it is and why I did it . Database GUIs for instance.

Yes. I too have heard stories about awful Labview sw. But I still think that for simple things it is a good choice.

LMI:
It is difficult to recommend C(++) to someone who has newer really programmed and does not want to start now.

So don't recommend C/C++ - just recommend Arduino.

...R

has newer really programmed and does not want to start now.

Fair enough. In that case I would recomend him to take up knitting or stamp collecting.