nrf24l01 + power regulator

Hi,

I am using a bunch of nrf24l01+ and they work fine but I need to use capacitors with them to make the power supply of 3.3 V from my arduino more steady. So I was trhinking about buying a power regulator from 5v to 3.3 v. Do you recommend a cheap and good one? I mean, I need a power regulator that does a good job, keeping a steady 3.3 V even at currents of 0.2 A.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3A-DC-DC-Converter-Adjustable-Step-down-Power-Supply-Module-replace-LM2596s-S4-/161940643652?hash=item25b46a1f44:g:sbgAAOSwX~dWj4ar

Hi,
Take a look at this little nRF24L01 base module with 3.3V regulator AND good bypass capacitors for $1.50
See it HERE:

I have used these myself and they make it easy to get nRF24L01 working fast and reliable.

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...

@terryking228 thank you so muh, but this component you recommended is not available in Brazil. I would like a lot to buy it. Anyway I have a question: could I use the 5v pin from arduino to supply this component of yours? Would the 5v of arduino be enough to drive the nrf24l01?

@knut_ny that's look nice, have you used it with nrf24l01? I ask that cause nrf24l01 is very sensitive to voltage variation, so I would like to know if this module produces a steady voltage.

I have seen the problem (bad comm) when running off arduinos 3v3.
First fix was to add the capacitor (10uf +-) - problem solved

I also tried the external power, set to 3.3 -> 3.5 V Worked fine, also on the modules without the cap.

batata004:
@knut_ny that's look nice, have you used it with nrf24l01? I ask that cause nrf24l01 is very sensitive to voltage variation, so I would like to know if this module produces a steady voltage.

That is precisely what it is designed to do - it is a voltage regulator!

Specified for 3 Amps. That should be way more than sufficient for the nrf24l01+.

@Paul__B can I power that component with 5v from arduino to suppl power to my nrf24l01? Will it be enough? Can you please say the name of that component so I can buy it here in brazil?

You will find it on ebay. (from China @ $1, ships to Brazil)
Power it from the source you use to power your arduinos barrel-jack, 7V .. 15V
Its best to avoid connecting a second regulator to arduinos 5V. You will load the 5V-regulator to its maximum and it will get hot...-> can lead to a shutdown/voltage drop/failiure

Ok, thank you I will take a look at it on ebay :slight_smile: But what do I type to search for it? You didnt provide the link or the name of this component.

"buck converter"

I searched a lot, so you think Ams1117 would help me? Some people says it's a "linear" regulator and maybe it would not be good to my case. I have a neighbour that sells Ams1117 so should I use it to give a steady 3.3v to my nrf24l01?

Many Arduino-Boards use that chip. ..and we struggle to get it deliver enough power.
It may work when the only task is to tupply the Nrf24. You will still need some caps - already there on the buck converter

Must I use caps with Ams1117? That would be absurd cause it should already provide a steady 3.3 V correct? If not, it should not be named "voltage regulator".

My goto linear regulator is the AP1117 series - somewhat low-dropout, very cheap, handles 800mA, available
in small SMT packages, and TO220, +/-1% pre-trimmed output voltage, voltages include 1.2, 1.8, 2.5, 3.0, 3.3, 5.0 and adjustable. Their only drawback is they are not micro-power.

This datasheet shoes 10uF at both in- and output.
(recommended tantal or MLCC)

Others uses 100uF/22uF.