Expand My Device I/O and Rx/Tx using Arduino

Dear Grumpy_Mike,
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not writing out the details:

Detail as follows:

1. For IOs
    I am thinking to use Arduino to process the data from IOs external devices. Arduino process the data and send it back to the main device on the left. We will be connecting to digital sensors like door sensors etc.

2. For Rx/Tx
    I am also thinking to use Arduino to process data from external devices and Arduino send the data back to main device using the Rx/Tx line. We will be connecting this to weighing sensors, RFID etc.

We want to do so because we are thinking to let the Arduino to process the data.

Example:

1. Data from Door Sensor will arrive at Arduino then Arduino will send it to the IO of main device. If there are multiple sensors, Arduino need to do the sending timing and also how to identify what data belongs to which sensors and send them properly to IO of main device (on the left)

2. For Rx/Tx, we are thinking to do the same thing. Dat from weighing sensors/RFID, will go into Arduino and Arduino will do the data identification (For example: Weighing sensor data start with 10, RFID data start will 01 and so on) and send it properly to the Rx/Tx of main device (on the left).

This way, we could use only 1 IO and 1 Rx/Tx from main device and can use Arduino to connect to a lot of external devices.

Thanks.