Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1 => site doesn't work

Hi,

FYI: there is an issue with the site/forum on http://www.arduino.cc when using Internet Explorer (on Windows 8.1). When trying to visit the forum (after logging in), the browser gets redirected to Arduino Forum and then nothing happens.

Jan

I'm having the same problem with Windows 7 and Explorer 10. I have to use AOL.

Download Chrome and use that instead. No issues then.

Hi,
arduino forum stop working for me a few days ago. Solution is to add arduino.cc website to trusted web sites in internet explorer.

Nope, nothing to do with it.

Happens on most or all browsers, certainly on Firefox, all platforms. Noted to happen particularly if computer is put to "sleep" - or presumably shut down - and restarted. May be related to a "keep-alive" function where certain pages automatically refresh to determine whether users are "On line" - which clearly does not work in any case as most users are shown as "offline" even as they continue to browse successive pages.

Solution would be for the "broken" code with this absolutely stupid "token" garbage simply to be removed from the hosting software, but that does not seem to be about to happen any time soon.

The other major problem is the submission system failing to function and returning a page which until recently and with the most poignant irony imaginable declared itself as "Broken", apparently losing one's carefully crafted and extensive submission unless you realised that it was possible to use the browser "reload" function and "Resend" the posted data as many times as it takes for the system to work sensibly.

I generally use InPrivate setting for browsing. Every application/site I have ever used functions properly with InPrivate.... except Netflix.... So I load Netflix differently (short cut on my desktop that does not launch Netflix in InPrivate mode).

Tried doing the same with Arduino.cc... It works. I received the token thing only once.... but many times I don't receive it all.

I'm running IE11 on Win7sp1. Hope this information helps.

I've been very critical of this bug on the Arduino site for sometime. the F12 trick sometimes would take four or 5 times in a row..... But it all seems to behave better without InPrivate mode.

Peter

Folks,

With Internet Explorer 11 running in Standard Mode (No InPrivate, No Compatability Settings, etc...) I get absolutely no Token?s8sf0aj issues with the Arduino Forum... I do have cookies for the Arduino.cc site enabled... don't know if that makes a difference.

For me... It's FIXED... it WORKS...

I'm running WIn7 64bit.... IE 11 64bit... Hopefully this information is useful to the Website Admin/Developers and Users alike.

Peter

ODwyerPW:
With Internet Explorer 11 running in Standard Mode (No InPrivate, No Compatability Settings, etc...) I get absolutely no Token?s8sf0aj issues with the Arduino Forum... I do have cookies for the Arduino.cc site enabled... don't know if that makes a difference.
For me... It's FIXED... it WORKS...
I'm running WIn7 64bit.... IE 11 64bit... Hopefully this information is useful to the Website Admin/Developers and Users alike.

Sorry!

ODwyerPW:
Tried doing the same with Arduino.cc... It works. I received the token thing only once.... but many times I don't receive it all.
I'm running IE11 on Win7sp1. Hope this information helps.

There is a big problem in electronic servicing - the intermittent fault.

And in fact, in computer software, this is if anything, worse.

Until and unless you can determine what is actually generating the fault, you have no hope of "fixing" it and this is most certainly the case here. The fault has absolutely nothing in any way whatsoever to do with the function of your browser. Forum software should simply never under any circumstance redirect to a URL with this appended "token" garbage, if indeed it should ever have any need to perform any sort of redirect in the first place. Obviously, someone has implemented a "kludge" in the forum software (not all the different browsers!) for some reason that "seemed good at the time" but was in fact, a totally stupid thing to do and unfortunately, no-one responsible for the software has "got around" to repairing the foul-up.

Paul,

correct. everything you wrote is correct.

however, for me I'm not seeing the token issues and I am able to participate on the forums.

my response was in no way an attaboy to the maintainers of the site..... they've done nothing to address the issue.

my response was simply a 'work around' for other users experiencing this problem. IT was HORRIBLE in INPrivate Mode.... It's useable now.

I'm just saying that if you think you have "fixed it" with a given configuration, you are being optimistic.

Regarding the "token" problem, as against the other common problem, it appears to have some relation to the continuity of cookies. I know that it will likely occur if I have put a machine to "sleep" and woke up again with the browser still running, or of course if the browser has been shut down. I have various tabs open on different forums here, and if I reload one of them as the first operation after waking, I will get the "token" fault and have to clear it before loading any other part of the forums else it will propagate. And the other part of the fault - the first reload may also lose the "back" history of that tab.

This happens on most but not all of my machines. If I begin by going to the main forum index, or the main Arduino site first, it does not happen, so I may use another tab to do just that as a convenience.

And then of course there is the other problem, "Broken!" when posting submissions. This again happens frequently on some machines and virtually never on others. It would be a complete menace were it not that I have learned to use "Reload" and "Resend" the POST data as many times as necessary to overcome it. Others have resorted to composing with a separate word processor to avoid losing the labour of their typing every time this happens, but this method is quite sufficient.

I had a mind to comment before, this problem with the intermittent fault and your joy at "fixing" it reminds me of the situation in medical practice with rheumatic disease which comes and goes apparently at random. As a result, people imagine associations with certain foods or practices, and a plethora of nostrums are marketed as well as urban mythologies because when people use them, the rheumatic condition remits and they believe it was the intervention that was responsible. Of course the condition later recurs, but that is then blamed on the fact that they had - of course - ceased to apply the "remedy" some time earlier when the condition remitted.

This is a classical example of the mental process - essential to learning in general and a field of study in itself - of seeking "connections" between events.

CrossRoads:
Download Chrome and use that instead. No issues then.
Google Chrome - The Fast & Secure Web Browser Built to be Yours

I have exactly the problem in Win 8 as described and I went to Chrome some time ago but is this just another Microsoft Hiccup or is it that they have some protection built in against certain sites and the 'Forum' site gets caught up in it? I haven't found any way of letting Win., Exp., have access. Whatever thank goodness for Google.

Incidentally: Ever tried a windows 8 phone. My advice is "DON'T BOTHER". As an example, there simply isn't an accessible file system so when the phone tells you your system is out of memory and refuses to work there's only one way traffic.................... to the bin or ditch all that you've recorded, return the phone to factory condition and start again.

Chris S.