(RESOLVED) Atmega328 (UNO) new ship how to do a bootloader download

Hello, I am new to this and need help :~

I have a new ATmega328 chip that has no bootloader on it, I read a few item on this forum. I have a Olimex Stk500v2 and a UNO board.

I tried using the Arduino022 software to download the bootloader and no luck. I did add the following to the programmers.txt but get errors

(my Olimex is on com2)

mexisp.name=AVR ISP 500 Olimex
olimexisp.communication=serial
olimexisp.protocol=stk500v2

I did avrdud and no luck there either, I read the flash from my old UNO, and tried to download to the new atmega328 (the download part went well) but still no luck.

I cannot download any program to my atmega328, I always get the time out error

What is the proper way :to download the boot loader to a UNO board?

I would greathly appreciate it

Thanks

Disconnect everything from your Arduino Uno (no USB, no Power, no inputs or outputs)

Plug the 6-pin cable of your Olimex AVR-ISP500 into the ICSP header of your Arduino Uno. Make sure Pin 1 of the cable (often marked with a red stripe on the cable or mark on the connector) matches Pin 1 of the ICSP header.

Select the serial port of your Olimex AVR-ISP500 from Tools->Serial Port

Select Tools->Boards->Arduino Uno

Select Tool->Burn Bootloader->w/ AVRISP mkII

That should write a fresh bootloader to the Arduino Uno.

First of all Thanks John for your reply

I did try all you said with aew chip and a working UNO. I thought the problem was that the UNO was powered before. but that did not change anything. If I try the AVRISP mkII, I get "avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" from the Arduino 0022 message box. I know that the Olimex and UNO works fine because I can sent an other file I had in hex using avrdude.
If I try using the AVR ISP 500 Olimex that I installed using the following in programmers.txt

mexisp.name=AVR ISP 500 Olimex
I get a long list of error

avrdude: Can't find programmer id "null"

Valid programmers are:........................

Any other Idea?

Thanks

Follow my little guide:

When you put those lines in programmers.txt did the first entry start with 'mexisp' or 'olimexisp'. It makes a difference.

## Put these lines in (Arduino sketch folder)/hardware/programmers.txt
olimexisp.name=Olimex AVR-ISP500 
## Put these lines in (Arduino sketch folder)/hardware/boards.txt
olimex328.name=ATmega328 on Olimex AVR-ISP500
olimex328.upload.using=olimexisp
olimex328.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
olimex328.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
olimex328.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
olimex328.bootloader.path=atmega
olimex328.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex
olimex328.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
olimex328.bootloader.lock_bits=0x3F
olimex328.build.mcu=atmega328
olimex328.build.f_cpu=16000000L
olimex328.build.core=arduino

You have to shut down Arduino0022 before changing those files. When you re-start Arduino you should see the new board listed under Tools->Board

]:DHi Again

Many THANKS

used Arduino as ISP as a board and bootloader using Olimex AVR-ISP500 .

At first it didnot work, I just had the Olimex pluged on the UNO. I tested for 5V but none. So I connected an other USB to the UNO board with the new chip and downloaded the boot loader successfully.

I read that the bootloader from Arduino 022 is buggy?? where can I get the latest one? and how to set it up.

Again Thank you John, your my saver

]:DHi Again

Many THANKS

used Arduino as ISP as a board and bootloader using Olimex AVR-ISP500 .

At first it didnot work, I just had the Olimex pluged on the UNO. I tested for 5V but none. So I connected an other USB to the UNO board with the new chip and downloaded the boot loader successfully.

I read that the bootloader from Arduino 022 is buggy?? where can I get the latest one? and how to set it up.

Again Thank you John, your my saver