RGB Lamp based on Monitor dominant color

Hi everybody,
In your opinion, would it be possible to connect an Arduino-controlled RGB lamp to a PC so that it would change its color basing on the dominant color displayed on the monitor?
I'm quite sure that connecting the Arduino to the PC with a USB port and make them communicate via RX-TX (maybe I'll write a Java app) is the easiest way to do this.
Do you know any way to get the dominant color on the screen (the hex value) in order to send it to the Arduino?
I looked for something like this on the internet but I didn't find anything like this... Maybe some of you know if something like this has already been developed?

Thank you very much for your help!

scarface78987

edit: I wanted to do something like this Arduino Monitor Ambient Light - YouTube but I was wondering if there is a way to get the values without having the program to make a screenshot every time...

I never tried it but maybe you can use 3 light sensors with R,G+B colored filters on them (use cellophane from candy wrappers).

I think I'm going to try the "screenshots" way... Arduino + Processing, it seems to be working quite well at 10-15 fps.
If anyone else is interested, I recommend this post

This is a similar project, you can probably glean enough info from this to build your own. This one does many points around the monitor, but you could simplify it to one.

There are color sensor available based on TCS3200. I have used this sensor before and it is pretty accurate and it has wide range of sensitivity. So, you do not even need to connect to PC, just point the sensor at the monitor.