Go Down

Topic: Adafruit now owns Radio shack! (Read 2898 times) previous topic - next topic

ChrisTenone

Hi, Must dig my Realistic Pro31 scanner out.

It travelled many miles with me when I was a travelling tech, had a cradle for it and extension speaker.
Made a 12V to 8V adapter to charge the Nicads.
Listened to many bushfires and the constabulary.

Tom.... :)
Right!?

I got nowhere as much use from mine as you did - it was my dad's, and he left it to me when he died. There weren't many analog channels left when I got it.
Wubba lubba dub dub!

TomGeorge

Hi,
We can still listen to the emergency services on good old VHF/UHF FM.
Yours has many more memory channels.

Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

ChrisTenone

Hi,
We can still listen to the emergency services on good old VHF/UHF FM.
Yours has many more memory channels.

Tom... :)
Yes, and forest fire crews as well as airport transit vehicles. I haven't used it for a few years, cause the cheap plastic of the battery door clasp broke, and I never superglued it back together. I have the pieces though!

I never really learned how to fully use it. I was more thrilled that my dad wanted me to have one of his most prized possessions.

But I also have lots of other stuff from Radioshack:

I still use both the above items, the Micronta meter is mostly replaced with a Fluke 75, and the literature is a teaching resource.

I'm really hopeful that Limor and Co. can bring Radioshack back to it's former glory. As for the business model no longer being viable, I don't know. Fry's electronics seems to do a brisk business with former Radioshack customers. And Adafruit is very well respected. I'm all for it!
Wubba lubba dub dub!

TomGeorge

Nice collection, over here they were called Tandy.

wilykat

I still have the Mini Engineer books.  Those were great read back in the 80s.  I am not sure if I have complete set or close but I do have many

Delta_G

Oct 13, 2017, 03:03 am Last Edit: Oct 13, 2017, 03:08 am by Delta_G
Fry's electronics seems to do a brisk business with former Radioshack customers.
The issue with the business model wasn't the types of products.  It was the size and number of stores serving those products.  Fry's does good, but you don't see them in small towns.  They're big stores in big markets.  Hell, I've got to drive 6 hours to find the closest one.  You have to have a critical mass of people who need electronics components.  There were too many Radio Shack stores that served some small town where there were three or four people that actually built their own stuff.  It worked back when people used to fix their own TV sets and stuff.  But in this disposable society today it just can't survive.  They tried to get things that more people wanted, ie cell phones, but they were already playing from behind and never really convinced people that's what they were now.  And then the internet came along and the only time even a maker like me went to Radio Shack was when I absolutely positively had to have that part right now today.
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

TomGeorge

Oct 13, 2017, 03:34 am Last Edit: Oct 13, 2017, 03:37 am by TomGeorge
We in Australia have Altronics  and Jaycar that are nation wide.

Altronics have 6 stores nationally, and a network of Re-Sellers across the country, these re-sellers add their bit to the cost and don't have all stock, but can be very convenient in an emergency.

Jaycar have a similar arrangement, but they call their Re-Sellers   Authorised Stockists.

Both appear to be doing well, both working in collaboration with local magazines, Silicon Chip and DIYODE.

Both have on-line shops.

One of the original electronics stores was Dick Smith, started 1968 mail order, grew nationally selling hobbyist and DIY components and kits. Evolved to computer and mobile phone as well.

Dick Smith the owner sold the company in 1982, buy 2008 they had dropped the DIY and components.
Basically they ended up in a market where they and just about every outlet in the shopping centre, strip mall or online was selling what they sold.
Stores were closed in 2016.
Dick Smith online is now owned by Kogan.
Many is the  time you would say you were going to "Tricky Dicky's"

Tom.... :) :'(

Go Up