Building a CAN API for Arduino DUE

Yes, I don't mean to sound like a jerk but that point it really looks like whatever is happening behind the scenes is not working. I really seriously am considering starting up an effort to make a new library from the ground up with just Arduino sanctioned code and libraries. It seems like this Atmel person isn't working very quickly. It is true that it appears as if the canbus stuff in the cortex chip isn't the easiest to work with but the Arduino 1.5.2 IDE seems to already have plenty of libsam and CMSIS stuff in it so access to the relevant hardware features to enable canbus should be possible. At first a fresh effort like this would just basically be the ability to send/receive canbus frames without a lot of hand holding but eventually it could be built up. We'll see. I should get my Due soon and transceivers some day and once I get my hardware I'm going to be itching to make things. If this Atmel guy hasn't produced anything by then I might take matters into my own hands. It's OK if my effort doesn't get sanctioned or if I end up abandoning it once/if the sanctioned one sees the light of day. I'll still have learned a lot about the architecture and that's important too.

I have better news!. Today I got the CAN class from the Atmel engineer. It is a raw class to start with. He really did a great job. Now, instead of ~40 files, we have 4 files. The CAN class (.c,.h) and the transceivers class (.c,.h). It compiles OK (0 errors/0 warnings) with the new IDE 1.5.2. I will be running some tests during this weekend and consulting with Arduino for the releasing in github next week. Thanks you for your patience.

That is good news. I know I'm willing to test. I'm sure plenty of other people are itching to do so as well. No need for too much testing before initial commit to git. The whole point in something like git is to disseminate code. Nobody expects a first commit to be perfect. We're just after something to look at. The sooner we see it, the sooner we get started with testing and modifications.

Another week passes and still nothing in GIT. Hardly the spirit of open source, is it?

The "can" branch is now published on github, currently it's in sync with the upstream "ide-1.5.x" branch.
I would like to thanks Palliser and aethaniel for the work done so far, and all the other that have contributed to this discussion.

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree/can
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree/can/hardware/arduino/sam/libraries/CAN

Who is interested in development must checkout the "can" branch since its likely to diverge while the CAN library gets developed and the API evolves.
The CAN library is still far from its final shape, a lot of work needs to be done, BTW its public now and I'm excited to see what the community can get out of it.

Finally: thanks you all for your patience, I know that more than two months of wait seems a lot but, believe me, time flies and sometime is very hard to keep up with the amount of inputs coming from this amazing community.

Very exciting, thank you @cmaglie. I'm looking to check out the repo.
Thanks for starting this whole effort and the thread, @Palliser

Thanks for the time and effort from all those who have worked on it so far. It'll be great to have something to get our teeth in to. :slight_smile:

A big thank you to Palliser and CMaglie! This is really cool! Thanks again!

Excellent work guys, thanks again

Ok, I've forked the Arduino project and checked out the CAN branch so I'm pretty well good to go there. I looked at the code for the canbus library. It's a good start. Here is what I think should be done in order from first to last:

1. The normal arduino way to instantiate a library seems to be to store everything in the class and instantiate it globally. Right now the can library is constantly needing class references passed to its functions. The Can class should be internal to the CANRaw. This was already done in the code but commented out. I'm guessing that whoever wrote the code just hasn't gotten to it yet. The canbus transceiver class is already a member of the CANRaw function so that's good.
  2. It would be nice to make it interrupt driven. Right now it appears to be polling driven. That's OK for testing but you aren't going to be able to put it on a bus with a new message every 600us and have it work right.
  3. It would probably be good to be able to use DMA transfers to automatically write canbus frames to a software ring buffer.
  4. Filtering should eventually be implemented
  5. Then higher level protocols should be supported as well.

I'll try to work on some of this. I won't have any transceiver hardware to test with until Monday.

Thank you AdderD for your notes and insights about the library.

A second CAN sample sketch has been added into the "can" branch. In this example, the two CAN modules work in PRODUCER mode (CAN0 mailbox 0) and CONSUMER mode (CAN1 mailbox 0) and use CAN interrupt handler to check whether the communication has been completed (interrupt is triggered).

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/tree/can/hardware/arduino/sam/libraries/CAN/examples

Producer Mode:
In this mode, when a remote frame is received, the mailbox data are sent automatically. By enabling this mode, a producer can be done using only one mailbox instead of two: one to detect the remote frame and one to send the answer.

Consumer Mode:
In this mode, after each transfer request, a remote frame is automatically sent. The first answer received is stored in the corresponding mailbox data registers.

Awesome! I just tried both example sketches and have both working on a cobble-job dual canbus shield I made from a schmartshield 1.27mm arduino shield and two sn65hvd234 chips. My shield sucks and I had to enable slope control with a 10k resistor from Rs to ground but now it seems to work reliably enough. This will allow me to actually test code now. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for providing the sample sketches I have tried both and either worked. By any chance you could please provide the wiring diagrams? I doubt you can make anything out of the pile of spaghetti but please post the diagram. Thank you :slight_smile:

234s.JPG

Please, check replay #33.

Arduino Forum.

Regards.

Thanks again Palliser. After exhausting all possibilities and redid the circuit multiple times I finally figured out the work around. I am suspecting it has something to do with the Serial Monitor on Mac. I inserted a line (cannot be a blank line) right before the while loop and both examples worked.

void loop()
{
Serial.println("-----");
while (Serial.available() > 0) {
CAN_MSG_1 = Serial.parseInt();
if (Serial.read() == '\n') {
Serial.print("Sent value= ");
Serial.println(CAN_MSG_1);
//delay(1000);
}
}

I have done some updates to the canbus library previously posted. I've made it a lot simpler to work with, more object oriented, and more "Arduino" like. I forked the Arduino project and my changes are pushed to my own fork. So, if anyone is interested they'd have to get it from my github account:

I'm working on making it interrupt driven as well. Also, I will try to keep encapsulating functionality into easier to work with classes. I think the next order of business is to work on the mailbox settings. It's not fun to work with all that currently.

I wish there were a better way to share the canbus library. Perhaps I should create a repo for just the library on my account and push just the canbus files there? It would make things a lot smaller and easier to get.

Has anyone gotten this to work with OBD2? I isolated the consumer and producer from the interrupt example and loaded onto 2 DUE and was able to get consume message from the producer. Then tried hooking up the consumer to the OBD2 and nothing. I haven't tried debug through the code just thought I ask. Thanks.

haha2k:
Has anyone gotten this to work with OBD2? I isolated the consumer and producer from the interrupt example and loaded onto 2 DUE and was able to get consume message from the producer. Then tried hooking up the consumer to the OBD2 and nothing. I haven't tried debug through the code just thought I ask. Thanks.

I think you are misunderstanding how OBDII works with canbus. You don't use consumer or producer mode for mailboxes. Really, remote frames have been depreciated for years. I really haven't ever seen that capability used in anything. Anyway, wikipedia has a decent enough reference: OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia

Basically, you want to use two mailboxes; one for transmitting, one for receiving. You transmit a PID request on a certain ID and the ECU responds on a different ID which is 8 higher than the ID you sent. If you do this you should see it working.

Hello haha2k.
I am happy you already want to deals with the 'heart of the matter'.

Thanks AddeD for your very pertinent comments.

I would like to add a couple of notes:

• Check the default baud rate in the specifications of your OBD?. Remember, the example default baud rate is 1Mbps. Depending on the OBD factory settings, this value could change to 500K, 250K, etc. If so, you have to change it. I.e. if you baud rate is 125K, then you have to do this:
CAN.init(CAN0, SystemCoreClock, CAN_BPS_125K);
CAN.init(CAN1, SystemCoreClock, CAN_BPS_125K);
  • Try changing the transfer ID to 0x07DF. this is a standard CAN functional request. Do it as follows:
#define TEST1_CAN_TRANSFER_ID    0x07DF

Thank you and keep us posted.

Thank you Palliser and AddeD for the pointer and insight. I think I am truely confuse with the way this is set up. What I am going after at the moment is to just listen/spy on the bus for the traffic. Whether it be OBD2 or vehicle's internal bus I have been able to plug into it via an OBD2 shield in conjunction with UNO or simply a CAN232 without participating as a node and see data flow through. Yes, I am aware of how OBD2 work :slight_smile: on top of the request and respond the power train CAN in my vehicle contains hundreds of frames per seconds of other propriatary information aside from RPM, speed, temperature, etc. Again, thanks Palliaer I'll give it shot. The OBD2 is at 500 and I had tried them all. Here is another question, how come 100K isn't part of the constants list? Thanks,