programmer is not responding error

My Arduino mini Nano has been working perfectly fine for over 2 years, but all of a sudden I got the following error upon programming it:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I didn't change anything hardware or software-wise. The same software/hardware setup was able to program it perfectly fine before.

When I try to program it the LED would blink exactly 3 times but then nothing happens (except the error). I'm experiencing the exact same error on Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7.

I don't have an ISP programmer or an other Arduino handy, so I can't re-burn a bootloader on there. Would buying an ISP programmer help the situation?

I realize this is a very common error message, but the previous threads were not helpful since my case is unique. All the other cases were people having problem programming their Arduino for the very first time.

Thank you for reading.

Make absolutely certain the you have the correct board and serial port selected.

Thanks for the response.

I have double checked that it's the correct board and serial port. I'm using Linux on a computer without serial port so there is only one serial port - ttyUSB0.

Try a different (new) USB cable.

So maybe your USB to serial adapter is dead? You have something like an FTDI-Basic that you are using?

Thanks for the advice. I will try that on Monday when the local shops open.

CrossRoads:
So maybe your USB to serial adapter is dead? You have something like an FTDI-Basic that you are using?
Arduino LilyPad/Pro/ProMini Programmer

Sorry, my bad. I have a Arduino Nano, not a Mini. I have corrected my original post.