Start with CNC

They are too expensive related to A4988.

Yaro:

Robin2:
You only miss steps if you try to get the motor to operate beyond its capacity. For example trying to move a heavy load with an underpowered motor or trying to accelerate (or decelerate) a load too quickly.

The A4988 (and similar purpose made stepper driver boards) have the ability to limit the current in the motor coil. The A4988 has a small preset potentiometer to adjust the maximum current. The Pololu website explains how to use it.

If you have the maximum current set correctly then regardless of the voltage supplied to the stepper driver board it will only allow the correct current to flow. Of course the voltage must not exceed the limits of the stepper driver board. And there is probably a minimum voltage for the driver board also.

The reason for using a high voltage is to overcome the inductance of the motor coils in order to reach the maximum permitted current as quickly as possible.

The voltage that is normally quoted for the motor is the DC voltage that would produce the maximum current in the coil based on Ohms law. For practical puposes the voltage number is irrelevant. The important number is the permitted current.

...R

If i have a motor with 1.5 ohm per coil and a rated current of 1.7A, i can put on A4988 a 35v power supply and it will not permit to fry my motor and will provide the current I need to motor? So the only limit of this module max 1 A per coil? If so, can you advice me a more powerfull motor driver that's cheap as A4988 or with similar price?

Otherwise, if I use an A4988 on a 1.7A motor I will use only 56% of it's motor power?

Someone can confirm my suppose?