Data transfer from Ardunio to external PC

Hello,

i already talked about this topic in different section ,, and i think this the best section to ask.

The dataflash memory in the board is external memory , lets the Arudino talk to that external memory chip and store values or data there.

can i use it to extract information from the memory of the arduino and transfer it to other pc to use those data in other appication ?

or is there any other way to do it ?

Thank you so much, looking forward to your answer...

There are lots of ways to send data from an Arduino to a PC. Typically you need a program on the PC that does the read and either stores the values or does whatever other processing that is needed.

The simplest way for an Arduino UNO (R3) is to use the USB serial connection that you use for programming the Arduino to do the data transfer. On the Arduino side you would use Serial.println (or a combination of Serial.print's followed by the Serial.println) to print out the values. You can use the serial monitor while debugging to make sure the data is formatted correctly. Then when you are running the program for real, you shutdown the IDE (or at least close the serial monitor), and have your program open up the serial connection. The name used depends on your operating system. Under Linux, it is typically /dev/ttyACM0. Note, in general when you open up the serial connection, it causes the UNO to be reset, and you have the usual period where the UNO waits to see if new programming is being downloaded.

Other ways to transmit data include:

• Via other serial lines going to a real RS-232 db-9 port in an older PC or a USB connector in more modern PCs;
  • A Leonardo can simulate being a keyboard, so if you have a Leonardo (or a USB host shield for the UNO) it can simulate you typing characters at the monitor;
  • Via a bluetooth connection using a bluetooth add-on card on the Arduino;
  • Via wired ethernet using an ethernet shield (with the Arduino either creating a network connection to the PC as server, or having the Arduino act as a web server);
  • Via wifi wireless ethernet using a wifi shield
  • Using a GPRS shield and opening up a connection via cell phone internet and sending the data.

Basically you need to write two programs (one on the Arduino, one on the PC) and use some communication interface to transmit data in an agreed upon format. Depending on the details, you may need to worry about detecting errors in the transmission, rebroadcasting, etc.

1 Like

Thank you so much Mr. Meissner for this detailed and clear answer..you helped me to proceed to the next step...I really appreciate your help... now i will start working on USB serial connection method it seems the easiest one..

Thank you again :slight_smile: