Go Down

Topic: GUI/Front end to program device (Read 177 times) previous topic - next topic

RamJam

Hello guys/gals,

I am currently on the starting stages of my personal academic HW/SW project for the elderly/disabled. I was thinking about making a standalone program which would be very easy to use for those without any technical knowledge to tweak the settings on a arduino board (probably a MKR1400).

The standalone program will most likely be a Java app with simplistic GUI to tweak these settings. (ie edit phone number saved on the MKR1400)

By my current limited knowledge, my idea was to let the Java app save the settings in a text file then open the Arduino IDE directly then flash the board the manually. Obviously these are extra steps and installation which will make the steps harder for most people. Therefore I am wondering if there any way for the Java applet to send the settings to the arduino board.

Can anyone show me the direction to look if I want the Java app to be able to directly send the messages to an arduino board?

Thanks for your time

MorganS

Does Java give you access to the PC's serial port? Then it's easy. Many Arduino interface programs are written in Processing because of that.

Then you define a simple protocol that the Arduino accepts over the Serial line. For example P1234567<enter> might be the command to change the phone number to 1234567.

Alternatively, would a phone work better as the interface? Then you could Bluetooth or WiFi to the Arduino. I just ordered a Simblee, which allows the phone app to be created with the Arduino IDE.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

RamJam

Thanks for the guidance, that give me a direction to look towards.

I will create an app to allow the user to set the different settings on the arduino. Arduino project is basically an alarm which sends a SMS to a phone. I think I may have an interface to allow the user to query alarm state from the phone.

Robin2

Have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data on an Arduino.

If you want to send data to an Arduino and want the Arduino to remember that data when it is powered off you will need to get your Arduino program to store the data in EEPROM memory.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

RamJam

Thanks Robin that jogs my memory since I haven't done much programming for a couple of years. I have used connectors such as the RS232 for serial connections in past and vaguely remember I didnt use USB because serial data was much more complex to send via USB.

As the MKR1400 uses micro-usb, I'd prefer to use that instead of the RS232 as it would mean less complexity & hassle for the user.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found the page for using UART for sending messages to the board. I'll look through that to implement serial over USB, if i'm stuck, I may be back.

Thanks guys.

Go Up