Real Speaker (not Piezo)

Hi, since I haven't received my Arduino yet I can't poke around with electronics, so I was wondering:

We can play melodies through the Piezo, but what about playing music through a real speaker? Is that factible?

Sure. Keep in mind the max output current of around 20mA, which means you'll need significant current limiting resistors with a standard 8 ohm speaker. But 20mA through an 8 ohm speaker is a decent bit of noise...

Sorry, I haven't got much electronic knoledgwe. So what should I do to successfully connect a speaker to the Arduino?
And, how could I output sound?

Read the three parts of this article.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210308142542/http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/11/11/arduino-sound-part-1/

If you have a small amplifier (anything from PC-style amplified speaker up to a guitar amp), it's possible to connect that to the Arduino. However, in that case, you would need to reduce the signal level from 0-5V to maybe 0-0.5V before feeding it to the amplifier. An attenuator would do that, just a voltage divider: Voltage divider - Wikipedia

Yes, I have a Guitar Amp. How do I connect the arduino to it?

Connect one end of a 200ohm resistor an arduino digital output pin. Connect the other end of the resistor to one side of your speaker. Connect the other side of the speaker to ground. That should get you some noise. Not LOUD noise (for which you'll need some kind of amplification), but enough to tell it's working.

OK, to connect a guitar amp, use one of the less sensitive inputs (something that you'd use for a synth, say, or a line-level CD input). Wire a voltage divider from the Arduino pin to the amp. That means, put a large resistor in series with the pin, then a smaller resistor to ground. Take the signal from the junction of the two resistors (there's a diagram on that Wikipedia page). To reduce the signal sufficiently, you'll probably need the larger resistor to be at least ten times the smaller one. Maybe twenty or fifty times, depending on the amp.

To start with, try 10k and 1k Ohms, and if that's too loud (start with volume turned down), try 22k and 1k, or 47k and 1k.

Here is a related question:

I picked up an 8 Ohm, 1.5W speaker. Connecting it to the Arduino, powered over USB, it is just too quiet even with very low resistance. Are there any simple, cheap options for making it louder?

• I don't care about sound quality, I am only driving square waves.
  • Also, it doesn't need to be that much louder. The volume of my alarm clock radio would be fine. (I opened it up and it uses a 16 Ohm, 1.5W speaker, but on 120 VAC of course.)

Would a 0.5W speaker be louder? If I used 9V power to the Arduino, would that get louder? Any simple amplifier solutions when quality is totally irrelevant?

Hmm, maybe I should hook up a 9V battery to the speaker, with some resistance, and somehow use an SCR to switch it on and off quickly. Does that sound reasonable? To avoid blowing out the speaker, I guess I should choose R so that I=9V/R makes P = I^2 * 8Ohm < 1.5W? Thus R around 20 Ohms total (counting the speaker's impedance). Can this hurt the Arduino at all?

get a lm386, they are cheap low powered amps (you can even get at radio shack if your in the USA) which is what a lot of alarm clocks and awnsering machines / speakerphones use

if you want to use a higher voltage (I doubt it would be much louder) you can use a transistor

Hmm, maybe I should hook up a 9V battery to the speaker, with some resistance, and somehow use an SCR to switch it on and off quickly. Does that sound reasonable?

No, it's totally wrong.

The simplest way is to use a transistor, with a lowish collector resistor say 100R. Then couple it into the speaker with a capacitor. That will stop excessive DC current through the coils but still allow AC to get through. The bigger the capacitor the louder it will be. Start off with 1uF.

Thanks for your advice. I was hoping to avoid that because I don't have good access to electronics stores here, but if that's what it takes I'll do it.

Shouldn't the volume only be a function of the current going through the speaker, though? It seems like it should be really easy to max out this current with a 9V battery separate from the Arduino. I guess I don't understand how an amplifier would work better.

Shouldn't the volume only be a function of the current going through the speaker, though

Yes it is and the capacitor allows more or less to flow. A capacitor has an impedance for AC signals. That's a sort of resistance, the bigger the capacitor the lower the impedance for a given frequency and so the more current flows.

The really simple way is to get some active speakers, the type you plug into your computer or MP3 player. They are chep and contain an amplifier.

Thanks Grumpy_Mike. I saw that you posted similar advice here but didn't appreciate it.

I still find this very confusing, and Google/Wikipedia aren't a great teachers. :slight_smile:

It sounds like I should be hooking up 120 VAC to the speaker, using an NPN transistor and a strong capacitor to control with the Arduino. I will have to look a lot more into "push-pull circuits" because I don't want to screw up 120 VAC.

Oops, we keep posting over each other. Active speakers is a good idea, too, I will see if I can find some around.

It sounds like I should be hooking up 120 VAC to the speaker, using an NPN transistor

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Keep mains and speakers well apart.

The speaker has that 1.5W, 8 ohms rating.

P = I*V,  V = I*R, and so P = V[sup]2[/sup]/R   or...
1.5 = V[sup]2[/sup]/8
12 = V[sup]2[/sup]
3.5 = V  (approximately.)

So you don't need more than 3.5V to drive the speaker. 110V would make sparks and let the magic smoke out.
On the other hand, back to P=I*V, or 1.5 = I * 3.5 gives us
I = 1.5/3.5 = 0.43A, more than 10 times the current output of the Arduino. That's why you need the resistor as well.
With an appropriate limit of 40mA, you'd get P = I^2R or about 0.01W... (additional power dissipated in the resistors.)

You could get some louder by connecting multiple pins to multiple resistors before connecting the speaker, adding their total current capability.

Cheap powered speakers are so common and cheap these days that they're probably a better route.

The simplest way is to use a transistor, with a lowish collector resistor say 100R. Then couple it into the speaker with a capacitor. That will stop excessive DC current through the coils but still allow AC to get through. The bigger the capacitor the louder it will be. Start off with 1uF.

Excuse the stupid question, but why not only use DC current? Does that harm the speaker? So far I have only used DC and it is working fine, just too quiet. (Thus the circuit is resistor from ground to a transistor controlled by the Arduino pin, to the speaker, to the + end of a 9V battery.)

The speaker has that 1.5W, 8 ohms rating.
P = IV, V = IR, and so P = V2/R or...
1.5 = V2/8
12 = V2
3.5 = V (approximately.)
So you don't need more than 3.5V to drive the speaker. 110V would make sparks and let the magic smoke out.
On the other hand, back to P=I*V, or 1.5 = I * 3.5 gives us
I = 1.5/3.5 = 0.43A, more than 10 times the current output of the Arduino. That's why you need the resistor as well.
With an appropriate limit of 40mA, you'd get P = I^2R or about 0.01W... (additional power dissipated in the resistors.)

You could get some louder by connecting multiple pins to multiple resistors before connecting the speaker, adding their total current capability.

Cheap powered speakers are so common and cheap these days that they're probably a better route.

Thanks very much for spelling it out for me! That's very helpful. It makes a lot of sense. Up here in Canada, things tend to be ridiculously overpriced---you don't want to know what I paid for this speaker---but I will see if I can find a powered one.

dc current keeps it running like an electromagnet, might be the source of your too quiet too, your cone cant really move much if its stuck out at the far end

if you can just get the ac sound wave to the speaker it should be louder, and you do this with a capacitor cause they block dc current after they "fill up" but let ac pass on through