Using constrain() to limit servo movement

After fiddling around with my dysfunctional, bloated Servo limit function, I decided to scrap it entirely and go with something else that was more intuitive. I knew that there must be something that would serve my purposes without using a bunch of if statements and switch statements. As it turns out—that function was constrain(). It’s really easy to use if you have specific functions to adjust their respective servos. Here’s how I did it:

void Plane::Aileron(byte desiredDir, int increase) {
  int deg;
  switch(desiredDir) {     
  case RIGHT:  
      deg = aileronServo.read()-increase;
      deg = constrain(deg, minAileronServoLimit, maxAileronServoLimit);
      aileronServo.write(deg);
    break;

case LEFT:

In this case, I calculate the original servo command, constrain it to my 2 global variables, minAileronServoLimit and maxAileronServoLimit, and then Servo.write() the resulting integer.

You didn't ask a question, so I will: what are RIGHT and LEFT for?

RIGHT, LEFT, STABLE, and RESET are the byte inputs from the parameter "desiredDirection". They control the direction/behavior of the aileron servos.

Something like Aileron(RIGHT, 5); would increment the aileron servos in the direction to make the plane roll to the right. The function is meant to be used in a loop.

That's a curious way to do it, but if it works for you then fair enough.

How would you do it?

I can't guess what the 'stable' and 'reset' functions are intended to do. Left and right appear to be relative moves. If I was controlling the aileron positions directly, I'd define separate methods to move the ailerons by a relative amount, to an absolute position, or whatever other type of movement I needed. I wouldn't lump all these different functions together into a single method with flags to say what functionality I was trying to access. Moving left and right are IMO essentially the same thing - moving by an amount which might be positive or negative - so I would expect one function to handle both directions.