How to get pcDuino going

Can anyone help me get my pcDuino v3 going. This is getting very tiring as the package software that came with it is very out of date. I am not familiar with this Ubuntu system and need a one click installation program. This whole project is very disappointing I am very disappointed with Arduino

I unfortunately don't have one, but it's a pity you're disappointed. I do guess not many arduino-fans use a pcDuino, most use an 8-bit micro controller like the uno or mega, which have a lot of support.

Lots of people wanting a PC-like board will probably go for a raspberry-pi instead, which uses linux as well. Quite a lot of small PCboards have become available in the last 4-5 years and the raspberry has more or less won the race in popularity/support.

I have heard rumours that Windows 10 will be available for ARM-chip boards, hopefully the controller of the PCduino will be supported as well.

Installing Ubuntu on a PC normally doesn't differ much from installing windows on a PC, you can find a lot of support for ubuntu, but once again, I have no experience with the PCduino.

Looking at the board and possibilities, it seems quite nice, but also quite advanced. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's just started building with micro controllers, or just started learning Ubuntu/Linux. Could not knowing what you bought/what to expect, be part of your disappointment ?

johnlinden:
Can anyone help me get my pcDuino v3 going. This is getting very tiring as the package software that came with it is very out of date. I am not familiar with this Ubuntu system and need a one click installation program. This whole project is very disappointing I am very disappointed with Arduino

From what I understand - the PCDuino is definitely not an official Arduino - rather, it is a single board computer (SBC) that runs Linux, and it has headers on it that match to the Arduino's headers (to allow you to plug in and use compatible shields). Likely - it comes with a library for C/C++ and Python (as well as likely command-line tools) to allow you to set/reset pins, read from them, etc.

This is much the same as how the Raspberry Pi works (minus the header format, of course).

I agree that such a board is not for a beginner - especially if you don't have experience installing and using Linux.

Take this advice: Set that board aside. Go out and get an official Arduino Uno - and start playing with that. Once you have that installed and working with your PC, you might then find an old PC that you have sitting around (or borrow one from a friend) - and learn how to install and use Linux on it (Ubuntu is a good choice). Get yourself very familiar with it - and then try to install the Arduino software on it and get the IDE going there.

Once you are at that level (and perhaps familiarized with Python and/or other languages) - then go back to the PCDuino. By that point, you should have the skills and knowledge needed to be more successful with the board.

Good luck.

:slight_smile:

Simpson_Jr:
I have heard rumours that Windows 10 will be available for ARM-chip boards, hopefully the controller of the PCduino will be supported as well.

Shivers! Why on earth would you want that?

(Note: if it is running on tablets which likely use ARMs, it probably will be available, but why anyone would want it - well ...)

There is a reason to get Windows 10 on a RasPi. Atmel Studio will support it! :slight_smile:

Isaac96:
There is a reason to get Windows 10 on a RasPi. Atmel Studio will support it! :slight_smile:

"Support" it? In what way? The Studio software would itself be compiled to run on an ARM?

Sorry, I worded that wrong. Atmel Studio will run on Windows.

Isaac96:
Sorry, I worded that wrong. Atmel Studio will run on Windows.

Correction - currently it runs on Windows, compiled for x86 processors.

The Raspberry Pi uses an ARM processor. I don't believe that Atmel Studio will run on ARM (though I haven't checked).

I can't imagine that they (Atmel) would make a version of their software just for the Raspberry Pi or other embeddable ARM boards - the market would be much too small.

Paul__B:
Shivers! Why on earth would you want that?

(Note: if it is running on tablets which likely use ARMs, it probably will be available, but why anyone would want it - well ...)

If it can make others happy, why not ? :smiley:
The more to choose from, the merrier...

Well, thanks guys for your help. I was thinking of using the graphics of pcDuino and finding more about programming HDMI. For instance, use arduino coupled with GPS and Google maps to display routes and stuff, or other arduino projects that need a good graphics system.
I have been programming arduino for many years now and the pcDuino seemed to be just what I was looking for.
Obviously none of you guys have dealt with pcDuino and it has been setup quite well, except the pages it uses in its install packages go to Arduino pages that don't exist any more and I thought you could help.
Thanks anyway,
John van der Linden

Most Linux distros have only Arduino 1.0.5 available in the Software Center.