Where to get a Due or Raspberry Pi for Xmas gift

As a christmas gift I'd like to get a relative either a due or a raspberry pi but everywhere I look seems to be back ordered. Are these actually available or are they just trickling out?

I'm in Canada by the way.

bill2009:
As a christmas gift I'd like to get a relative either a due or a raspberry pi but everywhere I look seems to be back ordered. Are these actually available or are they just trickling out?

I suspect they are just very popular. If the intention is to get an embedded arm processor to your relative, you might consider the Teensy 3.0, which just exited the kickstarter stage, and is now available for purchase directly. Teensy 3.0 uses a modified Arduino IDE that is available from the site. I have the Teensy 3.0, and for the simple things I've tried it works once I got past the quirks*. Some links include:

• The quirks I have are based on my using Linux as a development platform. I can't have certain USB devices plugged into the machine when I want to download the image. On my laptop, I have to unplug the UPS connection. On my desktop, my PS/2 -> USB converter for the keyboard/mouse are problematical, and eventually I need to replace the keyboard/mouse with USB versions.

Mbed is another embedded arm board that you can buy at various distributors (so, it would be similar to the Teensy 3.0 or Due). It has its own development IDE. http://mbed.org/

Beaglebone is more of a full linux board, and so would be similar to the Rasberry pi: http://beagleboard.org/

bill2009:

I ordered my Due from Mouser on the same day as the release and I received it last week on Friday I think.

Unless there's a special reason that it HAS to be a Due, or (shudder), Pi....

Why not give relative a "mature", stable, does-most-things-Due-does Mega? (Others may know better, but, from Canada, I would go first to Sparkfun.com (Colorado) for any of this sort of stuff. Not always the VERY cheapest... but big enough to be reliable, to have a reputation to care for, good stock levels, etc. Prices usually good, too.

(I'd be VERY happy with a Mega, if you can't get one of the others in time! <^_^>)

Seriously....

For the Very Keen, the "latest and greatest" is, of course, "necessary"... but if you just want to support (or maybe inspire) someone's interest in this line of "play", what is wrong with Mega? It was the "must have latest-and-greatest" not so long ago. (I am still on PRE-Mega Arduinos, and have LOTS of fun! And I'm no newbie... see Arduino Page- Main Sheepdog Guides Page)

I admire the Pi team for "having a go"... and a part of me wishes them some luck. But why dump your relative in the land of the "getting started" when the Arduino is so well advanced? The Pi is NOT "this generation's BBC Micro". It is NOT "very simple". Dig around the net for "getting started with your Pi" articles, and for the "these are the things you need to get right" and the "this is how you can fry it" articles....

tkbyd:

I dunno, I was assuming the relative had asked for a Due or Pi.

MichaelMeissner:

tkbyd:

I dunno, I was assuming the relative had asked for a Due or Pi.

The relative in question is an experienced arduino user and a gadget freak. He doesn't need another processor, this is a "for fun" thing - the Pi and the Due are the "ooh shiny" of the moment.

I successfully ordered another Raspberry Pi from Newark (USA) yesterday. I have a tracking number so it's on its way.

PapaG:
I successfully ordered another Raspberry Pi from Newark (USA) yesterday. I have a tracking number so it's on its way.

Thanks a bunch - ordered one from newark canada.

bill2009:

PapaG:

Thanks a bunch - ordered one from newark canada.

You're welcome. I hope the recipient enjoys it. Mine is for my grandson who has a nice Arduino-based sensor network in his room and is looking to put it on the web so I decided for about the price of an ethernet shield, he could expand his knowledge into Linux and Python.

As a christmas gift I'd like to get a relative either a due or a raspberry pi

You can get a Ruku 2: practically the same thing, but you can get at a retail store like WalMart.

dhenry:

You can get a Ruku 2: practically the same thing, but you can get at a retail store like WalMart.

Do you mean Roku 2? I believe the RPi is a tad cheaper and besides it's already on the way.

dhenry:

Purpose of raspberry pi: to help people learn and play around with linux and programming cheaply. Can be used as a small and cheap PC that can be mounted on robots and has GPIO. Can do anything a PC can, although slower.

Purpose of roku: to watch movies.

Failing to see any similarities

WizenedEE:

dhenry:

Purpose of raspberry pi: to help people learn and play around with linux and programming cheaply. Can be used as a small and cheap PC that can be mounted on robots and has GPIO. Can do anything a PC can, although slower.

Purpose of roku: to watch movies.

I knew someone would take the bait. :slight_smile:

I believe the RPi is a tad cheaper

It is.

and besides it's already on the way.

Roku is available right now, no waiting required.

Look a little bit deeper under the skin.

Just for fun, I just installed and ran Arduino 1.0.1 on one of my 512MB Raspberry Pi's. Aside from being noticeably slower compiling than on a MacBook Pro, it was quite usable. I've about finished an Arduino "shield" and I had planned to program the chip on an old Arduino with socket but it looks like that won't be necessary. The pertinent files are in /usr/share/arduino.

My grandson won't have to share the family PC any more!

dhenry:
Look a little bit deeper under the skin.

And then look a bit deeper again past the hardware.

The thing that really differentiates the "Pi" from everything else in its hardware class is the user base and support. There have been about 400,000 Pis sold to date (last figure I saw), which compares with 300,000-odd Arduinos. Development is moving at a blistering pace. It's hard to believe they've been out for less than a year.

I've seen (and even own) dev boards with ARM SoC chips that are more capable than the Pi in terms of hardware (faster clock, more ram, more peripherals, more gpio pins), but as any Arduinoist knows, hardware without software makes an interesting conversation piece for the coffee table, or perhaps a nice paperweight.

Or to paraphrase a famous President: "It's the software (and user support base), stupid."

My grandson won't have to share the family PC any more!

Maybe he can emulate windows on the pi from within linux and use it to program an avr.

:slight_smile:

The thing that really differentiates the "Pi" from everything else in its hardware class is the user base and support. There have been about 400,000 Pis sold to date (last figure I saw), which compares with 300,000-odd Arduinos. Development is moving at a blistering pace. It's hard to believe they've been out for less than a year.

From the folks at Raspberry Pi Foundation:

...Model B (volumes are actually, we think, a bit higher than we’d calculated; Farnell told us yesterday that they’ve shipped 429,000 so far, and I don’t have current figures for RS, but they’ll be only a little lower)

So, it appears the Raspberry Pi population is approaching 1 million units, lending even more weight to your argument.

it appears the Raspberry Pi population is approaching 1 million units,

Well, I tend to be skeptical of vendor claims.

But, to make an apple-to-apple comparison and given the Arduino model, you will have to compare Arduino-like devices vs. Pi after the same time since their introduction. I don't know how many Aruidno/Arduino-like devices have been sold but my sense is that its eco-system is far bigger than that of the Pi's.

But that comparison still misses the point: Roku2 vs. Pi.

But that comparison still misses the point: Roku2 vs. Pi.

You are welcome to make the comparison.