What would your dream arduino be?

I will build custom microcontrollers around what features are most voted for. The finished products will be sold so make sure you select which extra features you would most like it to have.

You are going to produce microcontrollers? That's a big investment $) Or are you going to produce Arduino like boards with ATmega microcontrollers? Maybe a board with Xbee and a H-brigde is an idea, would be popular for robots.

boards with ATmega or microchip microcontrollers. Sorry for confusion

I can build custom boards. The answer is always dependent on the usecase. I wonder how you come to the conclusion that you can make any money that way.

At the moment, my dream arduino would be identical to the Arduino Uno R3, but would have a dadgum jumper (or microswitch) on the auto reset instead of a trace you have to cut to disable reset and solder pads you have to join to turn reset back on.

Claghorn:
At the moment, my dream arduino would be identical to the Arduino Uno R3, but would have a dadgum jumper (or microswitch) on the auto reset instead of a trace you have to cut to disable reset and solder pads you have to join to turn reset back on.

Would this work?

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/seeeduino-v30-atmega-328p-p-669.html?cPath=132_133

Not an UNO, though...

@udo

come on... let him have his fun. I do believe that more arduinos to choose from is always a better thing... :slight_smile:

I am currently building my dream arduino myself :slight_smile:

So am I ;I

But this guy is going to build other people's dreams? Where is the fun in that?

Claghorn:

Try a small electrolytic capacitor from the reset pin to ground. Value not terribly critical, 10µF - 47µF. 10µF works for me.

this is what I need:
a pet engineer, who I can keep at home, so I can stop bugging all the knowledgeable people of this forum with my inane questions.

completely off topic @udo klein (assuming you are German just based on the name)
Do you know of any good/cheap/easy to deal with companies in Germany which do PCB fabrication for people like us?

one with a power switch... which is why I made my own with a simple toggle switch

Do you know of any good/cheap/easy to deal with companies in Germany which do PCB fabrication for people like us?

Forget about that. Unless you need it quickly and have quasi unlimited funds.

For the price you'd pay for a single 160x100mm prototype board you can get a lot more from the many Chinese manufacturers and have it fedex-ed to your door within one week.

I would want software support for integers with more than 32 bits.

Osgeld:
one with a power switch... which is why I made my own with a simple toggle switch

This is going to be very usefull!

fkeel:

Build them yourself!

I can go from concept to using it in a couple of hours. I rarely breadboard stuff now. It is cheap enough to make boards. You can spend quite a bit like I did but you don't need to. There are methods for laser printing onto magazine paper then ironing it onto a copper board, remove paper leaving toner in place and then etch in cat litter tray. I don't know the specifics as I have a three tank commercial setup but I know people that use this method and it works.

@fkeel: last time I used pcbpool but madworm's comment is true. However I have very mixed experiences with chinese manufacturing. In the end it is a question how much time and/or money you want to spend. Cheap, fast, good quality --> pick two :wink:

There are already so many systems out there and then to meet the consumer electronics demands is well pretty easy but to meet the engineer electronics demands is like going to a trip to Hell! and then trying to come back to life on earth.

This is just one person's opinion, but I only see the pre-fabbed dev boards as useful for simple prototyping. Any time I have a project, I design a PCB (stripboard is always an option) around the chip of my choice, with the peripherals of my choice. I don't think I would ever buy an Arduino (or clone) with the exact combination of chip and I/O I need, because that varies so much by what I intend to do.

Heck, half the time, even when prototyping, I just put a chip on a breadboard. Unless my needs can be met with just the pin 13 LED and a couple wires, it's less fragile on a board.

That said, for prototyping:

• The Uno is perfect for small projects.
  • The Mega is perfect for large I/O projects.
  • There are several good options for native USB projects.
  • The Arduino team needs to implement official 1284P support like yesterday for memory-hungry (and/or large I/O) projects.

So what's left? I guess a 32-bit AVR board would be cool. Although I haven't even checked to see what that end of the pool looks like in terms of cost and features.

I guess a 32-bit AVR board would be cool.

hmm can be , it would be utility!