cheap sound module: what version is this?

I said mini cause eBay listing says mini. In the other hand, we are in the same boat. If I am lucky today, will be able to get a 1gb micro card to test the board tonight. Keep you posted.

ahh...got it.

I assume you guys are going to try using the 2-Line Serial Communication protocol?

plugged everything and nothing. Just the led blinking twice and later, just keeps on. I assume that he is not reading the card cause I erased everything from the sd card and still doing the same.

mine is not working too
maybe i connected it wrong to the arduino or maybe it doesnt support 5volts or maybe the skecth i used was wrong, or maybe the files must be mp3. There are very few informations on this module combined with arduino.

i used this scheme (except for the 5v power) to connect it to analog A3 A4 A5arduino pins

Will try that this night. I am using these audio files already converted to ad4

http://www.4dsystems.com.au/downloads/Audio-Sound-Modules/SOMO-14D/Docs/AD4-sample-files.zip

Tried mp3 control mode, as I told you via pm and did not work cause the module is hardwired to work 2 serial line mode. I am also using "kingstone" micro sd card brand. I am pretty sure they are fake, but vendor told me that any brand will be fine.

i also followed the very confusing informations here:
http://emartee.com/product/41540/MP3%20Sound%20Module%20Mini%20SD%20Card

and used this test sketch with the appropriate AD4 sound file loaded on the microsd 1gb card and named 0000.ad4
http://yapan.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/arduino/examples/SOMO_14D_Test/SOMO_14D_Test.pde

but it keeps silent

What about the busy light? What about its behavior?

i dont remember, i tested weeks ago

we must test all kind of files: wav, ad4, mp3

should connect also the led blinking status on the module to see if it's working

we should know if the connection scheme as showed above is correct (connected to the analog pins of arduino) and if the skecth test is ok

that means we need help

Will test all this night, but I am pretty sure this module will only play certain ad4 and Wav files encoded in the right rate. As read in other websites, this one and somo-14d shares the same IC so connection diagram should be fine, even the sketch program should be correct. Your problem was the Vcc and mine the connection. Keep you posted. We are in the same boat. And If anybody have this working, we will really appreciate any help.

from the link above i downloaded also this test program, next time i will try this

/*
  Control Arduino Wave
 */
int RST = A3;
int CLK = A4;
int DAT = A5; 

void setup() {   

pinMode(RST, OUTPUT);
    pinMode(CLK, OUTPUT); 
    pinMode(DAT, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(RST, HIGH);
    digitalWrite(CLK, HIGH);
    digitalWrite(DAT, HIGH);

digitalWrite(RST, LOW);
    delay(5);
    digitalWrite(RST, HIGH);
    delay(300);
}

void loop() {

send(0x0000);
  delay(60000);
  send(0x0001);
  delay(60000);
  send(0x0002);
  delay(60000);
  while(1);
}
void send(int addr)
{
  digitalWrite(CLK, LOW);
  delay(2);
  for (int i=15; i>=0; i--)
  { 
    delayMicroseconds(50);
    if((addr>>i)&0x0001 >0)
      {
        digitalWrite(DAT, HIGH);
        //Serial.print(1);
      }
    else
       {
         digitalWrite(DAT, LOW);
        // Serial.print(0);
       }
    delayMicroseconds(50);
    digitalWrite(CLK, HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(50);

if(i>0)
    digitalWrite(DAT, LOW);
    else
    digitalWrite(DAT, HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(50);

if(i>0)
    digitalWrite(CLK, LOW);
    else
    digitalWrite(CLK, HIGH);
  }

delay(20); 
}

the-rebel-agent:
Will test all this night, but I am pretty sure this module will only play certain ad4 and Wav files encoded in the right rate. As read in other websites, this one and somo-14d shares the same IC so connection diagram should be fine, even the sketch program should be correct. Your problem was the Vcc and mine the connection. Keep you posted. We are in the same boat. And If anybody have this working, we will really appreciate any help.

i used the somo tool to create the ad4 file
http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=74

Checking the diagram I noticed that A0, AX, etc are only inputs for arduino. How will this woork that way? I do believe that theconnection diagram is wrong and you should use other pins as outputs.

Did all the test using almost every code available and got a few conclusions. A pins are only analog inputs, so you should use any other digital output ( example: 2,3,4 for reset,clock,data). When I turn on the WTV020-SD-mini-16P, the busy light blinks quickly and after a second of so keeps on. I connected the reset, clock and data and reset the board at the setup portion of the code. You should put the rst pin for 5ms down and later wait 300ms before send any command. I noticed that this guy, was able to do something with the WTV020-SD-20s board:

http://www.vduenasg.blogspot.com.ar/2012/03/wtv020-sd.html

He modified the clock timing, from 200us to 50us to make it work. So, basically I am pretty sure that now is a software problem with the data and clock pins, since I believe the rst function is working. A out the 3.3v problem, the manual states that you can connect two N4007 diodes in serial from a 5v output power. Did not test it yet. Will be playing with this modified code:

/*
  SOMO-14D Test
  Control a SOMO-14D module to play sounds

Reference
  http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=73

Created 20 October 2009
  By Shigeru Kobayashi
 */

const int clockPin = 2;  // the pin number of the clock pin
const int dataPin = 3;  // the pin number of the data pin
const int resetPin = 4;  // the pin number of the reset pin

const unsigned int VOLUME_0 = 0xFFF0;
const unsigned int VOLUME_1 = 0xFFF1;
const unsigned int VOLUME_2 = 0xFFF2;
const unsigned int VOLUME_3 = 0xFFF3;
const unsigned int VOLUME_4 = 0xFFF4;
const unsigned int VOLUME_5 = 0xFFF5;
const unsigned int VOLUME_6 = 0xFFF6;
const unsigned int VOLUME_7 = 0xFFF7;

const unsigned int PLAY_PAUSE = 0xFFFE;
const unsigned int STOP = 0xFFFF;

void setup() {
  pinMode(clockPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(dataPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(resetPin, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(clockPin, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(dataPin, LOW);

// reset the module
  digitalWrite(resetPin, HIGH);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(resetPin, LOW);
  delay(5);
  digitalWrite(resetPin, HIGH);
  delay(300);

sendCommand(VOLUME_7);
}

void loop() {
  // play "0000.ad4"
  sendCommand(0x0000);
  delay(1000);

// play "0001.ad4"
  sendCommand(0x0001);
  delay(1000);

// stop playing
  sendCommand(STOP);
  delay(1000);
}

void sendCommand(unsigned int command) {
  // start bit
  digitalWrite(clockPin, LOW);
  delay(2);

// bit15, bit14, ... bit0
  for (unsigned int mask = 0x8000; mask > 0; mask >>= 1) {
    if (command & mask) {
      digitalWrite(dataPin, HIGH);
    }
    else {
      digitalWrite(dataPin, LOW);
    }
    // clock low
    digitalWrite(clockPin, LOW);
    delayMicroseconds(50);

// clock high
    digitalWrite(clockPin, HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(50);
  }

// stop bit
  delay(2);
}

at this point i am not even sure wich one is Pin 1

A or B?

Def A is pin # 1. That's the way I tried.

then my wiring wrong was wrong
now i turned into A

i loaded the sketch
http://yapan.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/arduino/examples/SOMO_14D_Test/SOMO_14D_Test.pde

i changed variables into analog

const int clockPin = A4;  // the pin number of the clock pin
const int dataPin = A5;  // the pin number of the data pin
const int resetPin = A3;  // the pin number of the reset pin

i loaded the wav files
0000.wav
0001.wav

i turned on the board and i could listen a sound, very short, distorted and not as original.

but it's a step forward. Now i will try to change wave formats

Hurray, good for you. I just heard a small noise. What do you mean you turned the pins to Analog? Are you still using A pins as clock, rst, and dta?
You were using Arduino nano right? Ask you this cause since I am using UNO, will have to put some resistors between rst,clock and dta pins. Cause UNO high value is 5v and I think WTV020-SD-16P is 3.3v.

i am using the analog pins on Nano as the scheme above

How is this working to you eludes me. Cause A pins are only inputs, no outputs. There is no way to Arduino UNO to set those as outputs. At least It is compiling to you. And the sound you mentioned, should be the same pitch audio tone I got.

i tested other wav files lower quality and it works fine. Now i must understand the exact max quality wav format.

where did u read that analog pins can be only input?
with these commands they work as output

pinMode(clockPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(dataPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(resetPin, OUTPUT);

i confirm also that the 5volts soldered pin works fine too.