Really slow IDE on Win 7

Hi,

Using the IDE on Windows XP works vey well! Just installed it (0022) on a Windows 7 computer - the IDE is now very slow! Close to a minute to start and close to 30 secs to get the Tool menu to react... :frowning:

I have a Bluetooth mouse and I can confirm that the slowness is due to the Bluetooth mouse. Hitting the "switch-off-WiFi-Bluetooth-etc" button on my computer bring back the speed immediately! But then I can not use my mouse...

Please try and fix this - I would help if I could! This thread has a solution that maybe can be included in the 0023..? http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1237179908/15

Thank you for arduino! The most FUN thing I have come across for many years! XD
Photoman

hi, just like to say you're not alone . .

I have the same issue and the solution is to switch off bluetooth, bit annoying but there you go

Hi,

There is a working solution to the slooow IDE under Windows 7 (and Bluetooth) in the following post http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1237179908/0

I managed to give the link to the second page above - but on this first page there is a new version of a file called "rxtxSerial.dll" which puts the speed back into the IDE! XD
I hope that this will be included in the next release ...

Thanks for the arduino!
Photoman

AH! finally it works with bluetooth enabled! Now i'm going to buy a bluetooth shield just because i can w00t!

thanks for the link, a karma for u

I was wondering why the IDE was so sluggish. Thanks for bringing this to my attention

it's NOT totally solved - i have an eMachines EM350 netbook with NO bluetooth (running winXP+sp3), but still experience the startup delay. but once running, i experience no other delays.

i feel the scenario is something along the lines of:

bluetooth --> "some other problem" --> startup delay

without bluetooth, it is possible that in some machines "some other problem" is still there, and someone needs to investigate that other problem to find the root cause. to date, it seems folks have happily blamed it all on bluetooth in a slightly misguided way.

cheers,
rob :slight_smile:

Does the IDE work with W7 othervise? I tried it once and got problems. Don't ask what problems, I don't remember.

just had a bit of an epiphany. what if you're running the arduino IDE on a computer that does NOT have bluetooth, but DOES have some manufacturer-specific enabler installed that is sitting there waiting for bluetooth hardware to be found?

the IDE is pretty much unusable on my eMachines EM350, a netbook that does NOT have bluetooth fitted. but there IS software provided by eMachines running that maps certain keyboard key combinations to control hardware functions (volume, screen brightness, wifi on/off, bluetooth on/of IF FITTED).

could it be this enabler (i'm loathe to call it a driver) that stops the arduino IDE from functioning on what appears to be a fairly random splattering of machines?

I just love wired mouses.....

I recently came across this forum looking to a solution for the same problem you all were having. I use a wireless keyboard & mouse (NOT BLUETOOTH) and had the same problem. So I took into consideration of what was said by
'Robert Rozee' -
"just had a bit of an epiphany. what if you're running the arduino IDE on a computer that does NOT have bluetooth, but DOES have some manufacturer-specific enabler installed that is sitting there waiting for bluetooth hardware to be found?"

So I looked at my notification area and found I had installed Bluesoliel at some point in the past. I uninstalled it and without rebooting Arduino 0022 works for me like it does on my XP machine ! So thank you to all and this does work! I also noticed after uninstalling Bluesoliel which install bluetooth drivers as well, I lost two COM ports from showing up in Arduino 0022. I am wondering if users can still use thier BT mouse by installing a different FTDI driver for the arduino board? Would that make a difference since Win7 can use two different driver modes for the FTDI chip. I am unable to test myself as I dont have the Bluesoliel program any more and its not free.

Good to hear you got it working. And here too, I dont know what is different but IDE seem to with W7 machine. I think sometimes there were problems with XP too.