The phidgets 1111_0 - Motion Sensor

Hello,

I'm a PhD student, and I have to validate some theoretical models using motion sensors. So, I need to deploy a wireless sensor network for the detection of people. The thing is, I need a motion sensor whose output is not binary (detection / non-detection) but rather a measure (eg, signal strength) that I intend to exploit.

I've looked around a few sites, and I'm coming to the conclusion that my best option shall be the phidgets IR motion sensor (part number 1111, Motion Sensor - 1111_0 at Phidgets) that returns a value that corresponds to the amount of movement and which direction it is in (it senses the movement in a non-binary fashion).

The thing is, I'm not sure if the Arduino will work with this.

I was wondering if anyone could shine a light on this matter, as I would really like to avoid buying this online and then realizing that it doesn't work for some reason...

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

The sensor needs 5V and the output is analog. So it will work very well with the Arduino.

Why do you use just one sensor ?
I would use a few different sensors, and combine the result.

Thanks for the reply.

I am a beginner and have only little knowledge about Arduino.

First, could you please provide me with some information on what Arduino Board (or other stuff) should I purchase. And How to connect the Phidget sensor to arduino ?

Second, you said that you may use a few different sensors, and combine the result. Could you please be more specific.

Any information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

The most common Arduino is the Arduino Uno.

The sensor should be connected to a GND pin, the 5V pin and an analog input of the Arduino Uno. It is written on the board itself what the GND, 5V and analog inputs are.

Other sensors could be normal PIR sensors, radar detectors, ultrasonic sensors, a microphone (if it is indoors), and so on.

To start with the Arduino, you should have the Arduino board and download the software. Use the 'Blink' example and try to make a blinking led.