how to connect to a bare board using a 168a pu?

jonisonvespa:
what board do i select ?

Assuming your bootloader burned OK, you select the board you chose, when you burnt the bootloader (eg. Arduino BT w/Atmega168).

one thing i have noticed, ive got 5v out of rdx, and tdx constantly i was expecting voltage only when downloading? is this ok

Async serial idles "high" on the Arduino. That is, +5V is normal, on both pins, if they are doing nothing. Mind you, it is the sending end that would be doing the idling. So, unconnected to anything, I would expect the Tx pin to be high, and the Rx pin to be low or not determined. But if you are using an FTDI cable, I would expect both pins to be high.

ive ordered a new usb to ttl converter, im sure its duff, the circuit is 100% and ive tryed it with known good ic's, ive also noticed the leds on the board tx, and rx flash very weak as well

right,

ive got a new usb/ttl converter, still not working on the above 168 chip, but taken out the 168 and put in a 328 chip works fine, so the circuit is ok and converter is ok, ive tryed every 168 option ans still docent download, this is the error im getting, any ideas?

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xc0

Sounds like you burned a 328 bootloader into a 168 chip

thanks abrookfield, i will try to to burn a 168 again

i really am loosing the will to live,

ive re-burnt the bootloader 168, burns it ok, then go to download a sketch into a 168 sketch its just not playing, ive got the latest version 1.0.1.

ive even used another 168 chip, still does the same as above

What are you doing to ensure that the chip resets when you try to upload a sketch?

hi nick,
im switching 0v to pin 1, just seems really strange i can download a sketch to a 328 chip on a bare board then put in a 168 into same board and it wont work, ive tryed a few168s seems to load the bootloader no problem.
just wondering if there is any other software i could use to download ?
thank you

ok now really desperate now got the camera out may be clutching at straws but, is this the correct connection for the ribbon cable? its exactly like in the ebay edvert, and it does burn the bootloader so must be correct?

sorry for the large pic, but looks good in focus!

jonisonvespa:
ive ordered a new usb to ttl converter, im sure its duff, the circuit is 100%

Is that really a USB to TTL converter in the photo? In that case you don't plug it into the SPI (ICSP) pins.

hi nick,
no its the usbtinyisp bootloader programmer.

Right. Well you don't use that to upload using the bootloader. The bootloader uses the serial ports.

hay nick
i wasnt using the usbtinyisp to try to upload sketches, i was using it to download the bootloader onto the ICSP header.

the USB to TTL cable works perfectly on a 328 ic downloading sketches, (pins 2/3 rx/tx) but will not download a sketch to this 168 ic same circuit.

jonisonvespa:
(3878.05 KB, 3888x2592 - viewed 2 times.)

These 3 Mb pictures are a bit ridiculous. Can you stop doing that? They are too big to fit on the screen, so if we have to resize them to view them, you may as well save 5 minutes of downloading time by resizing them at your end.

jonisonvespa:
i wasnt using the usbtinyisp to try to upload sketches, i was using it to download the bootloader onto the ICSP header.

the USB to TTL cable works perfectly on a 328 ic downloading sketches, (pins 2/3 rx/tx) but will not download a sketch to this 168 ic same circuit.

Right, so that earlier picture wasn't relevant? I can't see from that photo, large though it might be, what you have wired to what.

hay nick my circuit,

works ok burning the bootloader in the circuit, the circuit led behaves in the same way as it does when burning a 168 in a uno board, but as soon as i go to upload a sketch to the 168 in the circuit just doesnt want to connect.

i then place a 328 ic into the circuit and hay presto, i am able to download sketches, very confusing. this is a brand new 168a- pu ic.

success!!! i found another 168, from the same supplier successfully bootloaded and sketch downloaded, so ic was faulty.