Arduino timed smokebomb

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make a timed smokebomb that will go off when it reaches the countdown time I've set. It is to use with Airsoft games.

I'm going to use a visco detonator(e-match) and a transistor to make the fuse off the smokebomb go off.
This is the visco detonator:

The smokebomb is like this:

Now my question is: which transistor do I need to use? Do the fuse will go off with the setup?
I've heard to use N2 transistors, but I don't know which one.

Maybe someone knows a better way to blow the fuse?

I would appreciate any help. :wink:

Regards,
Tibo

What voltage/current does the detonator require?

The way to set it up is to have a resistor on the arduino pin going to the base of the transistor. Hve the emitter go to ground with the detonator in series with the collector(ground wire of the detonator to the collector pin).

thegeekway:
What voltage/current does the detonator require?

The way to set it up is to have a resistor on the arduino pin going to the base of the transistor. Hve the emitter go to ground with the detonator in series with the collector(ground wire of the detonator to the collector pin).

Well, I was searching for it, but it's not mentioned on the website of it.
I will search for it on other websites now.

Already thank you for helping :slight_smile:

I don't seem to find it anywhere for this e-match. I will contact the shop.
But shouldn't it be around 300mA ?

Otherwise I will buy another e-match that I know the current of.

I've found information about a Talon igniter:
http://www.talonigniters.com/

They say 2A @ 6V and 0.5A @ 12V .

So I'm going to order this one.

Now I just need to know which transistor to use to reach the voltage and current?

Any TO-220 type - MOSFET or NPN use 4 A or more.

Thank you!
I already have a TIP121 transistor, will it work? I don't know where I have to look at the datasheet for the 4A.

Here is the datasheet:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/TI/TIP122.pdf

Techone:
Any TO-220 type - MOSFET or NPN use 4 A or more.

This.

I've made stuff like this before and have several projects in the pipeline for this purpose! (Although I use Mk5 maroons typically, rather than smokes).

My personal choice is an IRF540N N-channel MOSFET, but I have also used a TIC106 SCR to accomplish the same ends. The igniters I use obliterate themselves open-circuit after firing, so the SCR will turn off when the job is done :slight_smile:

Sounds interesting :wink:

I went to the local electronics shop today and they told me that the TIP121 should be good.

@TiboJ

A SCR rated of more than 4 A, is better for your application. I agree with BulletMagnet83 on this one.

The TIP122 is OK too.

Post pics of yours when it's done :smiley: Would be interesting to compare notes. I'm in the process of miniaturising mine now, so it can be used in a hand-held "stick it to the wall, set it and run" sort of fashion.

Wondering if I should use the external interrupt features to devise some sort of anti-handling feature.... mmm naughty. ]:smiley:

Just checked my datasheets and the TIC106 I mentioned can handle 30A surge, 5A continuous. Might be worth considering for future projects as you'll find it pretty difficult to kill one in your chosen application!

A SCR rated of more than 4 A, isΒ  better for your application. I agree with BulletMagnet83 on this one.

The TIP122 is OK too.

Ok :slight_smile: Do you mean TIP121?

BulletMagnet83:
Post pics of yours when it's done :smiley: Would be interesting to compare notes. I'm in the process of miniaturising mine now, so it can be used in a hand-held "stick it to the wall, set it and run" sort of fashion.

Wondering if I should use the external interrupt features to devise some sort of anti-handling feature.... mmm naughty. ]:smiley:

Just checked my datasheets and the TIC106 I mentioned can handle 30A surge, 5A continuous. Might be worth considering for future projects as you'll find it pretty difficult to kill one in your chosen application!

Sure! :smiley: I will post a video of mine when it is finished.

Nice idea for the 'stick to wall', it would be nice for Airsoft 'plant the bomb' games. XD

You can always show some vids or pics of yours if you want :wink:

A very early and ugly breadboard prototype :slight_smile: I've refined the code a fair bit, and using a Pro Mini and a small serial-enabled LED module my final build should be quite small. I'm looking forward to having some production models done to take to games!

Very nice!
I'm looking forward to the production model :wink:

I'll send you a message when mine is finished, but it will take a while.