auduino not working

I want to make my arduino talk without having to buy a shield and I stumbled upon this Is it possible to make Arduino talk without shield - Troubleshooting - Arduino Forum
which led me to this Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.
I tryed hooking up a 220 oh resistor between A0 through A4 and 5v and hooking up a pair of headphones to the arduino through D3 and GND but after I ran the sketch labeled audino_v5.pde I couldn't hear sound.
All help is appreciated and I can supply more info if need be.
Thanks

5v and hooking up a pair of headphones to the arduino through D3 and GND

Sorry, I don't know anything about that project, but you should't connect headphones directly to the arduino. The maximum current from an Arduino is 40mA, and that means a load of 125 Ohms minimum. Unless you have "high impedance" headphones, your headphones are probably around 32 Ohms. That can damage your Arduino.

It's also not good for your headphones to connect 5VDC.

I recommend a 100-200 Ohm resistor in series wiith your headphones. That will knock-down the volume, but you should still hear something (when your sketch works). And a capacitor in series (100uF or more) to block the DC, while letting the AC "sound" through.