Go Down

Topic: MegaCore - Arduino support for ATmega64/128/1281/2561 and ATmega640/1280/2560 (Read 7067 times) previous topic - next topic

john1993

lol.  i considered joking about bob having stock in digikey but figured the one about going out of business w/o arduino.cc forum was enough for this week. :)

taking into account the same features listed there is no competition between m32/m128 and any of the other arduino chips.  of course i am talking about global (aka real world) pricing.  oddly current price for one relatively feature poor m328 is higher than that for m32 or m128.  just as strange m1284 is holding its own at around 10 bucks regardless of source.  usually m32 is drop in replacement for m1284 and better deal at 80 cents (10:1 cost difference).

as mentioned countless times for me ease of purchase, availability, and bang for buck are paramount.  i can understand where these might not be important and for some "traceabilty" more so.  i must admit also having to do the digi/mouser (aka suckertown) thing occasionally for liability reasons.  and sparkfun too.  not very often thankfully.

i do recall couple years ago on this very forum and much earlier on avrfreaks just mentioning china would bring about tirades of "junk", "crooks", and "why dont you go live there with your pinko pals?".  reminded me of the mcarthy era.  now looks like at least 90% or so of the members caught on and openly admit to purchases from The Evil Empire.  even those who used to hit the ceiling are now recommending ebay or alli links.

i guess patriotism is a virtuous trait (not really and definitely not for me).

ps. admittedly the lead time thing can be a plus for domestic.  however i do recall waiting several months for a t45 shipment from digi and conversely have received packages from china in as little as 3 days.  not the norm though.  but in any case i have some patience and a knack for thinking ahead.

hansibull

oh yeah, i agree.  now i see it was atmel engineers that decided to go backwards on portf.

btw thanks also for the excellent m32 package.  another one of my favorites.  by far best bang for the buck in dip-land.  these were a long time coming and i wonder why people were stuck on m328/m1284/m2560 which dont come even close in terms of features vs cost.

ps: there are some rather nice pcb available on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181943619671

1. besides m128 also works from m328 all the way up to m2560
2. less than 30 cents ea
3. silk numbers clearly visible outside headers unlike similar boards that cost more
4. extra pins handy for things like regulators, leds, etc
5. literally 3 minutes to install chip, cap, xtl, and minimum programming header

heres another breakout for up to qfp64 that is even cheaper & smaller:

i have purchased hundreds of both types over the years for business and hobby.  virtually impossible to make anything close myself considering features and cost.

I've found quite a few breakout boards at Ebay, but they are all so large! I've tried to make the footprint as small as possible without breaking the 0.1" pin spacing (and still make it square). I ordered just a few, but if there are any demand I might as well order 50 boards. Price per board tends to go down when you order a lot :)
MightyCore -  ATmega1284, mega644, mega324, mega164, mega32, mega16, mega8535
Github.com/MCUdude/MightyCore

MiniCore - ATmega8, mega48, mega88, mega168, mega328
Github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore

CrossRoads

"but we're hobbyist!"
Speak for yourself. I design cards for many people that go into production, and are used by colleges and businesses. I think I do more work that way than I do for hobbyists.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

john1993

I've found quite a few breakout boards at Ebay, but they are all so large! I've tried to make the footprint as small as possible without breaking the 0.1" pin spacing (and still make it square). I ordered just a few, but if there are any demand I might as well order 50 boards. Price per board tends to go down when you order a lot :)
you have to be careful because the more common design is not only bigger as you say but also the silk numbers get hidden under headers which is a deal breaker in my case.  and they cost more.  you do have to go a few pages in to find the little gem in my link and to get cost down.

did i mention these cost not much more than a quarter ea?

btw if you cant afford to spend $10-$15 on a lifetime supply of extremely versatile breakout boards then maybe in the wrong hobby?  or maybe its fear of big numbers? :)

I've bought a LOT of AVRs at Ebay and Aliexpress, and have never received a counterfeit,
unlikely anyone ever has.  romantic concept but imo urban-myth/wives-tale.  at this level of technology not likely these guys have a foundry in the basement.  or even a basement.  we are talking thatched huts.  i will gladly pay 100x the going rate for an actual proven counterfeit for my ic museum.

btw bob, in addition to being a hobbyist i purchase hundreds of thousands of chips/year for business.  im not a manufacturer like you but with clients who i have interest in helping survive.  in this case the cost becomes even more important.  we will have to agree on different priorities.

mcnobby

http://www.youtube.com/user/Recovered
http://www.smartshow.lighting

hansibull

Yep, it's a bit pricey for just a PCB. I was thinking about making something like this (4 minute mockup)

The chip can easily be replaced by other pin compatible ones (ATmega64/128/1281/2561 and all the other CAN variants). I think this board will make it easy prototyping an incorporating this AVR family into hobby projects  :)

mcnobby

http://www.youtube.com/user/Recovered
http://www.smartshow.lighting

hansibull

Good choice! I've modified mine to be able to program it using a USB to serial adapter (FTDI pinout). Just make sure to remove C3! It's preventing auto reset from working..

hansibull

The custom breakout boards have arrived! Looking great :D (Boards ordered from dirtypcbs.com)

hansibull

Are there any instrest for adding support for ATmega1281 and ATmega2561 as well? :)

CrossRoads

I have 2560 and 2561 system on a board designs working.

Bottom

2561 top

Jumpers to connect signals for Bootloading

Bottom

More info on bootloading & compiling at this thread
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=380757.0
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

If I order more 2560 boards, I'll re-do them more like the 2561s with the labels inside the headers to reduce the overall size.

hansibull

I don't think using an unmodified core for the Mega2561 is a good idea.. There are many places that needs "#if defined(__AVR_ATmega2561__)" in order to work properly. Does there exist a modified Arduino core for the ATmega1281/2561?

CrossRoads

To be honest, have been working on getting a stencil set up for applying paste & reflow soldering on the 2561. First pass didn't work too well, needed lot of hand cleanup to remove shorts. Then got flu & strep throat, so wasn't feeling well enough to do much. Just got in a new stencil, but other projects in the meantime and tax prep actions are taking up time to try the new stencil. Maybe next weekend.

hansibull

Does the board house add a little tin to all the pads? Mine does, so I'm just using a lot of Flux before I reflow.  Perfect results every time! I just need to clean up the flux residue afterwards

Go Up