####ing attiny85 on arduino...

Hey ladies and gents,

been a while since I was on here... Not been doing much arduino lately due to lack of ideas but for a week end project I thought I would order some Attiny85's and have a play with them.

anyway its not 4pm, I am fustrated and cheesed off. since 10am I have been trying every thread I can and reading every word to try and get this little B to work in arduino IDE.

Every set of code I have tried has not worked.

I am trying to use the arduino board (duemilanove with mega328) to program the blink sketch.

So far it no worky...

Is it possible someone can just upload there entire arduino0022 folder up for me to download and try that? (anyone who has managed to get it to work...) I honestly have tried everything :~

or is there a proper noob proof way of doing it? like a guide that you just cannot fail on

The two errors I am getting are:

Binary sketch size: 748 bytes (of a 8192 byte maximum)
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.getProgrammerCommands(AvrdudeUploader.java:106)
	at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:68)
	at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1603)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1568)
	at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1524)
	at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2293)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

and

Binary sketch size: 658 bytes (of a 8192 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x15

depending on what files I have downloaded to make it work (there are a few)

any help would be much appreciated. I could stand on a kitten I am that frustrated by it now.

mother fluffer

It was the reset. 2 by 2 220 ohn resistors from live to reset sorted it :grin: happy bunny again

Hope this helps someone out in the future

I feel your pain. For over a year I thought I had fried my three ATmega168 chips because burning the bootloader always got a verify error when setting the lock bits. Turns out the Arduino I was using as an ISP was getting reset and the bootloader speaks the same STK500 protocol as the ArduinoISP sketch. The bootloader always returns OK when asked to write the lock bits and always returns 0xFF when asked to read them back.

A 2.2 microfarad capacitor from Reset to Ground disabled the auto reset.

its sodding annoying!

Buy oh well as long as someone else learns from this its not too bad :slight_smile:

Had the same issue a few days ago.. Are you using a Mac?

hi i have tha same problem
[quote
It was the reset. 2 by 2 220 ohn resistors from live to reset sorted it smiley-mr-green happy bunny again
[/quote]
you mean the reset pin on arduino or the reset pin on the attiny?(i assume live is the 5v pin)

pyrforos:
hi i have tha same problem
[quote
It was the reset. 2 by 2 220 ohn resistors from live to reset sorted it smiley-mr-green happy bunny again

you mean the reset pin on arduino or the reset pin on the attiny?(i assume live is the 5v pin)
[/quote]

Reset pin on the Arduino. Yes, 'live' would mean +5V.

Alternatively you can use a 1-10 microfarad capacitor from Reset to Ground (+ side to Reset, - side to Ground).

ok tried both solutions.. none worked...
Keep getting sync error messages

After loooong time of frustration i solved it!!!
I use ubuntu linux. So if i burn the Arduinoisp from arduino 0.22 from windows and then continue the process ftom arduino 1.0 from windows or linux (doesn't matter) everything is fine! 8) 8) 8) 8)

Arduino 1.0, as I understand it, made a change in the serial library that sort of crashed ArduinoISP when loaded from 1.0. It will work at 9600 (if you change the serial setup in the sketch) when using AVRDude from the command line, the 22 version will work at 19200 AND will tranfer from 1.0 using the transfer using ISP option.

Someone on the forum here has a sig line that says "there's no excuse for not having an ISP programmer" and I have to agree wholeheartedly. I haven't tried ArduinoISP, things are just nice and straightforward with a dedicated programmer. There's $22 that I consider very well invested. From the Arduino IDE, getting the Arduino-Tiny core to work was a matter of five minutes or less. Ditto the HLT core. Ditto WinAVR, for Tiny's or Mega's. Burning bootloaders, uploading sketches without a bootloader ... Well, you get the idea, sorry about that, but it sure sounds like there's a lot of grief to be saved.

Got my first Tiny85 to Blink last night, using 0022 UNO as ISP and help from MIT High-Low Tech:
http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1229

It took a while to get the directions right. LOL, "Pin 0" is pin 5 and it says that on the map but by the time I'm reading the connections the map is off the top of the screen!

I am wondering if a Tiny85 is capable of running an SD adapter as a kind of pass-thru host. Maybe I could make an SD copier using 2 adapters and an 85!

Care to link to a good one? I've bought ADAFruit products and been very happy with her kits, but this post I think there is an updated driver available (Win 7 & 64bit) - adafruit industries on the forum makes me reluctant to spring for the kit.

USBtinyISP has so much great press, it's really a shame that its DOA on Win 7.

Lazy Glen

Hi Glen,

I do in fact use the Adafruit USBtinyISP, and although I usually use it on an XP system, I'm pretty sure I've used it on a Win7 system as well. But let me double check that and get back to you. Nothing but good to say about it on the XP system.

jc

I just successfully burned a bootloader from the 0022 IDE on Win7 using the USBtinyISP. Unfortunately it's been a while and I don't remember exactly what I had to do to get it to work. I found three zip files, listed below, not sure which one(s) exactly I may have used. I do think Win7 gave me some grief about unsigned drivers. I'm also attaching screen shots of the device and driver properties. I found libusb0.dll both in the Windows\System32 folder and in Windows\SysWOW64, so not sure if I tried 32-bit first, then 64-bit or what.

Sorry I don't remember more specifics, hope this helps. The zip files I evidently downloaded are:

libusb-win32-bin-1.2.4.0.zip
usbtinyisp w32 driver v1.12.zip
usbtinyisp_libusb-win32_1.2.1.0.zip

USBtiny Properties.png

USBtiny Driver Details.png

Thanks for checking. I actually have the Arduino as ISP working, but I spent far more than your 20 minutes getting it up and running. I'll add the USBtinyISP to my wish list.

Lazy Glen