Go Down

Topic: Looking for host solution for Android tablet/app (Read 434 times) previous topic - next topic

natet

I have been using Arduino Mega ADK to connect a Android tablet(USB accessory) to Arduino (acting as a host). The Arduino powers the tablet and passed information back to Android tablet.

Recently, I have learned that Mega ADK has been retired and wanted to know which particular Arduino device should be used to connect our Android app in the accessory mode to a Arduino Host. I recently tried with Arduino 2560 device and were not able to activate the USB accessory mode in Android.

bnair

Hi - We have similar situation. We used Mega-ADK kit to connect Android tablet to Arduino in a USB-accessory mode. Now with Mega ADK kit being retired, We are wondering what are available options to continue using Arduino board as a USB host with the android tablet as USB-Accesory.

Is bluetooth an option?

Look forward th everyone's feedback.

thx,

Robin2

I presume these questions are being asked because you want to make future projects using Android tablets that do something in conjunction with Arduino boards.

It would be a big help if you describe the projects that you have in mind and what the roles of the tablet and the Arduino will be.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ieee488

Unfortunately,  https://developer.android.com/adk/ has a 404 Error  --- Page Not Found

I have to wonder whether Android will be supporting it much further as the latest information is from 2012.
https://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb/project/android/docs/tools/adk/index.html

bnair

Robin - Thanks for the response. We already have a solution live in a store that uses Mega ADK, where Android acts as a Accessory and Arduino acts as the Host. With the Mega ADK retired, We are wondering what particular Arduino board we need to invest in to support the USB Accessory *Android Tablet)  -> USB Host (Arduino) architecture. Most of the examples i see around new board -> 2560, all talk about using Arduino board as an accessory. In my solution, we have to use Arduino as an accessory.

Any guidance is appreciated.

I presume these questions are being asked because you want to make future projects using Android tablets that do something in conjunction with Arduino boards.

It would be a big help if you describe the projects that you have in mind and what the roles of the tablet and the Arduino will be.

...R

ieee488

May 18, 2018, 03:45 pm Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:45 pm by ieee488
Since you are selling this product for $, can't you afford to hire someone one who has the answer?

Robin2

May 18, 2018, 05:33 pm Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:34 pm by Robin2
Any guidance is appreciated.

Your Reply #4 does not really add any information to your Reply #1.

If you tell us what your product actually does (as requested in Reply #2)  someone might be able to suggest a way forward.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ieee488

If you tell us what your product actually does (as requested in Reply #2)  someone might be able to suggest a way forward.

...R
At the very basic, he wants the Arduino to act as a USB host.

Robin2

At the very basic, he wants the Arduino to act as a USB host.
I know that's what the Mega ADK does.

But perhaps that's not really needed for the application - if we knew what it is all about.

Or maybe the OP needs to start thinking outside the box if the Mega ADK won't be available.

...R

ieee488

He seems unwilling to provide further information.
Shrug.
Not our problem.

gdsports

The Mega ADK uses the MAX3421E chip to provide USB host capability. The same chip is used in the USB host shield so a regular Mega with USB Host shield might work. Details matter so take a look at schematics, source code, etc. before jumping to conclusions.

The Arduino USB host shield has been retired but circuits@home sells a USB Host shield and there are clones as well. All use the MAX3421E chip. circuits@home maintains the USB host shield library so they know a lot about the MAX3421E. You might get an answer if you post a question on the github repo.

https://www.circuitsathome.com/arduino_usb_host_shield_projects/

https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/

bnair

Thanks gdSports. This really helps..I will check the provided link.

Our current solution is designed based on Arduino being the USB host and Android in the accessory mode. I was wondering if Arduino Bluetooth connectivity is stable option that we could use for 2 way communication between Android tablet and Arduino tablet.

thanks,

The Mega ADK uses the MAX3421E chip to provide USB host capability. The same chip is used in the USB host shield so a regular Mega with USB Host shield might work. Details matter so take a look at schematics, source code, etc. before jumping to conclusions.

The Arduino USB host shield has been retired but circuits@home sells a USB Host shield and there are clones as well. All use the MAX3421E chip. circuits@home maintains the USB host shield library so they know a lot about the MAX3421E. You might get an answer if you post a question on the github repo.

https://www.circuitsathome.com/arduino_usb_host_shield_projects/

https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/

bnair

Robin - I am unable to share more details about the Project. Hope you will understand.

But our needs are very basic and i am listing them below:
1. Arduino Board should be able to charge the Android tablet
2. Tablet should be write to the Arduino Board
3. Table should be able listen and read from the Arduino Board

With the ADK gone #1 requirement cannot be met. I was wondering is using Bluetooth connectivity the only option? or is there any other way.

thx,

If you tell us what your product actually does (as requested in Reply #2)  someone might be able to suggest a way forward.

...R

Nick_Pyner

May 24, 2018, 02:33 am Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:34 am by Nick_Pyner
I was wondering is using Bluetooth connectivity the only option?
No.
Android<>Arduino via bluetooth is practical and reliable - to the point where it may be the reason for the demise of the Mega ADK, but, needless to say, WiFi is a similarly useful option. 

Robin2

Robin - I am unable to share more details about the Project. Hope you will understand.
When I hear that I immediately think you are trying to get free OpenSource help for a closed-source commercial project - to my mind that is not a fair balance.

I was wondering is using Bluetooth connectivity the only option? or is there any other way.
Bluetooth and WiFi work fine. But how can we know if either is a sensible alternative to a system we know nothing about?

...R

Go Up