Sudden unreliability with my network-enabled Arduino project [SOLVED]

Tell me about it, I just wish this thing was figured out and working.

I'm sure I can find some sort of plastic standoffs for the board to be away from the wood.

If I do the blow dryer thing, won't that only tell me if heat is an issue? I don't think that's the problem anymore as my device has problems in the (cool) mornings sometimes, not just the (hot) afternoon/evenings (although it seems like the problem rears its ugly head more in the late afternoon/evening).

That UPS thing is a good idea...I purchased an OpenSprinkler device from Rayshobby.net (actually I sourced all the parts online from Digikey and Mouser and just bought the circuit board from his site), soldered it all together and have had problems with it locking up and other weird things every 1-3 weeks. Ever since I put it on a UPS, I haven't had any problems with it. Or maybe it was after moving the ethernet cable off of the PoE switch, I can't remember.

The garage door can't be the problem as my device has been messing up even when it's not connected to the garage door.

If my 'current' test fails, and my 'last' test fails, I will try one or more of your suggestions.

Thank you for the new ideas.

And thank everyone for all their help so far. This is a great forum.