Reset

Is it possible to reset or reboot the arduino from the program.

Yes. It's very possible.

Deliberately? I don't know.

Hi,
Basically you can do this if you have a hardware-programmer to upload your Sketches to the board. It is not possible when your sketches are uploaded with the bootloader.

The full discussion (and a link how to do this ) is here:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1250663814/9

Eberhard

but i need to reset the millis every 12hours who do i do that

Why?

I would have thought that if you have a transistor to connect the reset pin using a digital write then that should reset it...

Mowcius

You can't do that the data sheet says so.
The processor will not have long enough in reset before it comes out due to the tri-stating of the output pins. If you must do this then use a monostable to generate the reset pulse.

You can't do that the data sheet says so.

Come on, real men don't read instructions (or datasheets) ;D

I didn't read that...

The processor will not have long enough in reset before it comes out due to the tri-stating of the output pins. If you must do this then use a monostable to generate the reset pulse.

Yes that sounds like a good idea.
Could you just put a big cap in the line to provide a longer signal?

Mowcius

I need that because arduino is going to be up doing this job like 5 to 10 years and we can't break for that I need to reset it for good operation.

real men don't read instructions (or datasheets)

So real men can't do electronics. :wink:

Could you just put a big cap in the line to provide a longer signal?

Well that is a poor man's monostable but the problem with that is the rise and fall time of the edges caused by the capacitor might interfere with the reset function.
It is one of those areas where you might get it to work but it is not repeatable over different processor chips.

So real men can't do electronics.

They just get it wrong all the time, that's why there's something called an arduino forum :smiley:

Well that is a poor man's monostable but the problem with that is the rise and fall time of the edges caused by the capacitor might interfere with the reset function.
It is one of those areas where you might get it to work but it is not repeatable over different processor chips.

Yeah, it's a real man's monostable :stuck_out_tongue:

Mowcius

I need that because arduino is going to be up doing this job like 5 to 10 years and we can't break for that I need to reset it for good operation.

Then the 20$ for a hardware-programmer for implementing a reset function should be a good investment.
Eberhard

ok one other approach can I put a relay cutting the power for the board or is it going to be in loop????

wayoda in the final project i'm going to use a arduino pro mini ...

The Arduino is not running a Microsoft operating system. It doesn't need to be rebooted twice a day.

What led you to believe that restarting it every 12 hours would be necessary?

I think the thread is wandering a bit.
Lets focus.

The original question:-

Is it possible to reset or reboot the arduino from the program.

begs the question why.
this was:-

but i need to reset the millis every 12hours

Is this the only reason what you want to reset?
If so why not re zero the millis counter in software?

Other alternatives are:-

1. Making a jump through the reset vectors.
  2. Using the watchdog timer and stop kicking it when you have exceeded the time you want to re start it.

Only then do you need to resort to hardware.

) Making a jump through the reset vectors

But this won't necessarily leave the hardware registers in the same state as they would be in following a reset.
It will restart your program, certainly.

What you mean :
Is this the only reason what you want to reset?
If so why not re zero the millis counter in software?

Other alternatives are:-

1. Making a jump through the reset vectors.
  2. Using the watchdog timer and stop kicking it when you have exceeded the time you want to re start it.

Only then do you need to resort to hardware.

????

sorry i din't find the quote :expressionless:

how can i don that???